RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 1997 16:11:59 -1000
Peter:
>Probably not until more Paleo-oriented people join our group. :-) Could you
>please post the name and phone number of the rancher on the Big Island who
>supplies this meat? I am thinking of putting in a small order to see how it
>tastes.

It comes from several ranchers through a coop called Call Kona Specialty
Meats at 808-323-2849 (ask for Bill). He should be able to either send some
to you or refer you to Hawaii Natural Beef itself to arange for same (they
process the HNB which goes to a local supermarket chain called KTA). I
would suggest a 10-15 pound New York strip (deboned and cryovaked). He is
wary about sending it fresh instead of frozen but you'll likely be able to
talk him into it--or maybe you want it frozen, I don't know. It would be
pretty pricy overnight shipping I'd guess. Try and get one which isn't aged
(or at least no more than two weeks aged) so that you have plenty of time
to eat it yourself. If you want frozen, you might consider some liver
and/or marrow as well...if you can get them to remove the marrow from the
bones for you.

>I have recently come across a local source fresh buffalo that like most
>buffalo is 100% range-fed at prices from $7 - $14/lb for the better cuts
>making your beef from HI a lot cheaper. It was not as tasty as some buffalo
>I recently got from Santa Cruz that tasted like fresh sourdough.

Probably you're right that aging is the difference, but the cuts vary
considerably as well...brisket and eye of round are never going to be like
ribeye or even top sirlion but aging will help. Also it seems that the
texture is part of the taste-change. When you are really on top of it, even
fresh/tough meat seems melting. Who knows...?

>This
>buffalo is very tough to eat so I guess it is time I dig into the archives
>and re-read some of your instructions of how to age meat. :-)

I have just been laying chunks in the fridge on the rack w/o any hanging or
anything special. It dries out on the surface just fine..

>I tried
>drying some of the buffalo at 95 degrees - it was not bad but, naturally,
>did not make it any tenderer.

Make sure you cut "across the grain", and the thinner the easier to eat.
Sometimes it tastes best before it is completely dry. Fat helps the taste
considerbly as well. Or you could dip it in some brain smoothie just to get
instinctos upset with you...;)

Secola  /\  Nieft