RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Liza May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 12:27:48 EDT
Hi Ward,

<< after we account for all the possible influencing factors such as childhood
experience, later experience, etc., do they have a choice whether to be a
fanatic or not? >>

I don't know. It seems to me that there must always be some choice posible. I
would imagine that maybe on some level the person is aware of the consequences
of their choices, or at least must have some pretty distinct sense of what
would be required of them on an emotional level, and that this may be what
causes them to make the choices they make (like, the choice to become, or
remain,  a fanatic).

I've wondered and wondered about this question - once again, as related to
choosing evil. It has seemed to me, from my own personal experience, that I've
been present at the very moments when a person has been fully aware and fully
cognizant and able to choose at that moment either evil or good, and I've
watched the eyes and the face as the person carefully pondered, and chose
evil.

I can't say that on any intuitive level at all, it makes any sense to me that
there is no choice involved. I feel as if I've watched the process of choice
as it was happening. It is only through a very detached, analytical, logical,
reasoning approach that I can say that I think that we do NOT have the option
of choice. I've decided to not trust my own intuition on this subject, since
my intuition does not appear to make logical sense.

The issue above relates to the idea of forgiveness (an area of confusion for
me), and also to the idea of to what extent are people to be held accountable
for their actions or crimes.

As far as nature versus nurture - it's some of both. And although I think that
most all of what shapes a person happens in early childhood, I certainly think
that plenty of experiences in later life at the very least have a kind of
reinforcing effect. And I think tht there are both divine events and traumas
that can happen to a "fully-grown" adult that are powerful enough on their own
to change a person for life.

Ward, what do you think about the question of choice? It is a murky and
emotionally charged one for me. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Love, Liza
[log in to unmask] (Liza May)