RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elnora Van Winkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 03:51:43 -0800
Re: anger and fear.

When anger is expressed, noradrenaline is released and excites
postsynaptic neurons. During detoxification crises (releases of
repressed anger), excess noradrenaline is released and overexcites the
nervous system causing symptoms that range from anxiety to violent
behavior. Excess adrenaline (which is also stored up as a result of
suppressing anger) is also released. This overstimuates the heart and
causes the pounding sensation experienced as fear.

So during detox crises, both anger and fear are experienced, and it is
hard to separate them or talk about them in psychological terms. I had
to be willing to experience fear, recognize it as anger trying to
emerge, get my anger out, and redirect it at the first sign of a
symptom, a detox crisis. An example might be the pounding sensation I
experienced when I had to call someone on the phone and confront them. I
would first bang on the bed and get mad at all past abusers, people who
caused me to suppress anger. Tnis helped reduce the toxicosis and over a
period of time I could confront people without fear. Since this list is
about food, I might mention that stuffing myself with some bread was a
good way to avoid the feeling of fear!! and interfere with the healing
process.

Janis:
Another question for Ellie -- in response to the posting yesterday about
anti-corisol drugs, cortisol having been identified as a stress hormone
with
harmful consequences, could you explain the relationship between
cortisol
secretion and metabolism and the buildup of toxic neurochemicals?
Thanks.
Janis

Increased levels of cortisol correlate with depression, which often
follows a detox crisis--until the end of the detoxification process when
there are no more detox crisis and no more depression. Cortisol is not
really the bad guy. Detox crises are caused by the breaking of lysosomal
membranes and the release of enzymes that break down and repair the
toxic cytoplasm. Cortisol stablizes the lysosomal membranes and helps to
end the detox crisis, which could be dangerous. Cortisol helps make
these crises periodic and less harmful.

Cortisol also moblizes amino acids out of cells and make them available
to needy cells for the building of substances necessary for life. It
also stimulates certain enzymes that help to reduce toxicosis.

The real stress hormones are noradrenaline and adrenaline, which when
released in excessive amount during detox crises can overstimulate the
heart, for example.

Ellie

. Detoxification crises are remedial and self-limiting. Physiologists
have discovered that cortisol and other glucocorticoids, whose secretion
from the adrenal cortex is mediated by the hypothalamus, appear to
stabilize the membranes of lysosomes

Cortisol mobilizes amino acids out of cells, so there is no need to
reduce TH activity to avoid a build-up of DOPA. The possibility that
this gene directs the synthesis of DDC is

Where dopamine levels are low, there is no need for gene action to
suppress DDC activity. Cortisol stimulates PNMT activity (12), and
excess norepinephrine may be converted to epinephrine. This variable
enzyme activity appears to account for the notion that neurons are
specific for dopamine or epinephrine.