RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sun, 4 May 1997 09:25:09 -0700
there is an article on the Raw restaurant in this morning's San Francisco
Sunday Examiner/Chronicle newspaper (the two papers issue a combined Sunday
issue).  I was interviewed for the article, and am quoted in the article. Most
of what they say about me is approximately accurate. However, they grossly
misquote me on the following:

Some raw foodists include raw meat in their diet.
"I had three friends who got into that" said raw fooder Tom Billings...
"They all got really sick - one of them still is."

The above portion of the article is a gross misrepresentation of what I
said. In our phone discussion (interview" if you wish), I mentioned
instinctive eating to her, and even gave her the phone number of a local
instincto to talk to. I actively encouraged her to talk to that person, as
not all rawists are veggies, and I thought she would find instincto
interesting.

Anyway, the subject of parasites came up in that part of the discussion.
I told her that parasites were a real concern in instinctive eating, and
that some instinctos do get parasites. I refused to give her any names,
for the obvious reasons (privacy, courtesy). So my honest, realistic
comments on the risk of parasites, was somehow turned into the fictional
quote above.

Some of the other quotes in the article are out of context, but they are
not as bad as the above - the rest of the article is approximately correct.

Anyway, I wanted to mention this, as I don't want people to think that I am
anti-instincto (I am not; in fact I find the philosophy and assumptions
of instictive eating to be very interesting). I don't know if I will request
a retraction - seems like a lot of trouble for nothing. Instead, I might
put a note in a future SF-LiFE newsletter, correcting the misquote.

P.S. Anyone have a scanner? I can get a copy and mail it to you if you want to
scan it in.

Regards,
Tom Billings