RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 10:56:01 -0400
Stefan:
> >Note: I can eat fruit+protein (IN THAT ORDER ONLY!)

> You are joking. :-)

You too :-)

> Hm. If the working conditions for these two types of enzymes contradict
> each other, the combination may turn out undigestable.
> The standard argument here is, that protein digestion needs an acidy
> environment while sugar/carbohydrates need an alkaline environment.
> If the sugar-processing enzymes are destroyed by the acidy environ-
> ment the sugar would remain undigested.

Not exactly. The argument is that the enzyme amylase, which digests STARCH,
needs an alkaline environment, whereas pepsin requires an acidic one. But for
SUGARS, the digestion occurs in the intestine only, and the environment is
always alkaline whatever the food (protein or sugar). So there is no biochemical
incompatibility between sugars and proteins. I believe that sugar+protein is
difficult to digest because mixing decreases the concentration of both
substances in the chyme, thus decreasing the speed of the chemical reactions.
That's speculation, of course. By eating (but not overeating) fruits FIRST, the
mixing is minimized.

And even for starch+protein, it is obvious that many average americans grow fat
while mixing pasta+meat, even if they restrict their calorie intake. Of course,
stinky stools attest that the digestion isn't perfect.

> If you eat each protein until the stop comes, I guess you will watch
> signs of a protein overload sooner or later.

Perhaps. I don't know. When I get a stop on one animal protein, another one can
still be very attractive. And when no animal protein is interesting, almonds can
still be tasty (the fat?)

Best,

Jean-Louis