RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellie Rotunno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 05:25:39 -0700
Jean-Louis Tu wrote:

> I think that PAH (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) are not Maillard
> molecules, but they are caused by cooking too. They appear only at
> high temperatures (>350 F ? Not sure), and also in smoked food, which
> explains the high incidence of some cancers among Norvegians (who eat
> a lot of smoked fish). Carcinogenicity of PAH was discovered (or at
> least suspected) many years ago, but as far as I know, there is no
> scientific evidence of toxicity of mild cooking.

Thanks for this clarification. I may be mistaken that specifically
designated Maillard's molecules would form a very low temperatures,
certainly not enough to cause much trouble. But I am intrigued by the
possibilty that even low heat would cause attachments of sugars to amino
groups of proteins. These proteins would then be digested and perhaps
result in aberrent amino acids, these then absorbed thru the intestinal
walls and used by cells to make protein that is abnormal to our cells. We
may be adapted to some of these, which would account for our being
adapted to aged food or mild cooking. I just can't believe that all the
damage is due to large proteins or even polypeptides. I have never heard
of really good evidence that large proteins, including enzymes, get into
our cells. I don't know what Maillard's molecules actually are so maybe
I'm talking through my hat. Will have to sign off from this discussion
until I learn more.

 Ellie