RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 14:13:05 -0400
> From: Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>

> The problem with this is that we only have his word for it.  Without HCL I
> do not see how he can digest the amounts of meat that he eats.

The digestion of protein begins in the stomach (with the pepsin enzyme), during
which an acid pH is required. But most of the digestion of protein occurs in
the intestine (with slightly alkaline pH). So, maybe his digestion is less
efficient, it's not such a serious problem.

In addition, one of the most important components of his diet is fat, whose
digestion occurs in the intestine only. It's interesting that he doesn't shuns
out butter, whereas some people avoid dairy products by principle: butter has,
as far as I know, no inconvenients (no lactose, no casein).
I however wonder if it is really important that the fat comes from an animal
source. What would happen if he ate avocado or nuts instead?

Jean-Louis