RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 10:48:54 -0600
Another interesting post from the live-food list cross-posted with permission:

Best, Peter

Gregg <[log in to unmask]>:
I've never tried raw chicken or raw turkey but I have had raw chicken
liver and it's great; in fact the first time I had it I loved it and I
was immediately drawn to eat.  I've also have raw beef and calf liver
and really like them too but have mostly been having raw chicken liver
for the last 2 months and still really love it - As I said in a previous
message I eat just about the same diet as my cats!!! - Really!!! -
:)!!!  I had a feeling the raw chicken and turkey would be tough and
hadn't felt move towards it yet, I feel like I'm going to go for fish
next, and in fact the only reason I hadn't gone for it yet I was waiting
to find a good source for fresh raw fish that came from far enough out
in the ocean where I would consider it quite safe.

Something else I do that a lot of raw fooders might not consider but if
they studied the Peoples of the World who live the longest they might: I
eat things like soaked porridges; soaked seeds, and grains; fermented
milk products, fruits, and vegetables; and soup and broths made from
chicken, turkey, and beef stocks - There seems to be something very
special about the gelatin in the stocks because it's actually
hydrophillic in nature like raw food is - cooked food is hydrophobic.

To make it easy let me quote you from one of my favorite books
"Nourishing Traditions - The Cookbook that Challenges Politically
Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats" by Sally Fallon with Pat
Connolly and Mary G. Enig, Ph.D.:

Page 107, paragraphs 2 and 3:
-----
    "Properly prepared, meat stocks are extremely nutritious, containing
the minerals of bone, cartilage, marrow and vegetables as electrolytes,
and hence in easy-assimilated form.  In particular, wine and vinegar
added during cooking supplies the acid needed to draw minerals,
particularly calcium, magnesium and potassium, into the broth.
     Stock is also of great value because it supplies the hydrophilic
colloids to the diet.  Organic molecules are colloids.  In raw form,
these molecules attract liquids - they are hydrophilic.  Thus when we
eat a salad or some other raw food, the hydrophilic colloids attract
digestive juices for rapid and effective digestion.  Colloids that have
been heated are hydrophobic - they repel liquids, making cooked foods
harder to digest.  However, the proteinaceous gelatin in meat broths has
the unusual property of attracting liquids - it is hydrophilic - even
after it has been heated.  The same property by which gelatin attracts
water to form desserts like Jello, allows it to attract digestive juices
to the surface of cooked food particles."
-----
Well I hope you enjoyed that information the whole book as absolutely
wonderful.  Sally works with the Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation
and the Foundation was started in 1965 and has the most amazing and
information who could almost ever want about Health and Nutrition - And
yes quite a few months ago because of Aajonus a quite a few of them have
been eating raw meat there.

It's named after Dr. Weston A. Price, the pioneering researcher the on
health wisdom of primitive diets and author of "Nutrition and Physical
Degeneration", the classic work on human nutrition; and Dr. Francis M.
Pottenger, Jr., the author of the classic work "Pottenger's Cats - A
Study In Nutrition", and  brilliant studies on diet and physical
degeneration in cats.

Anyway, I could go on and on as I know a lot about the Raw Food, Health,
and Nutrition Fields amongst others and if any of you have any specific
questions I'd be happy to answer them and/or if you would like to get
these or any other books I can tell you where to get in touch with the
Foundation or our Foundation - ACN - American Community Network - where
you can get them.

- Gregg!!! (aka Nexus)