RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rex Harrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 23:26:04 -0400
Don Wiss wrote:

> I looked up Parkinsonism in my Merck Manual. It isn't listed. Does it have
> another name?
>
> As for Parkinson's, what little I know about it is there doesn't appear to
> be any connection to gluten.

The woman died with SDS (Shy-Drager Syndrome), which is a combination of the
rigidity of Parkinson's Disease combined with orthostatic hypotension.  It's
an extremely rare problem and many of the sufferers are mis-diagnosed as PD.
A problem is that the commonly used PD drug, L-Dopa, has a major side effect:
lowering of the blood pressure---which is big trouble to the orthostatic
hypotension challenged.

According to the doctors at Johns Hopkins, there are several dozen other
ultra-rare neurological diseases that exhibit Parkinsonism (rigidity or
tremor).  They say that all are related to death of certain brain cells.  SDS
only made it into Merck in the late 1980's.  Most of the others are too rare
to be listed.

I don't understand how gluten came into the discussion.  My question is posed
because I want to feed back information to her support group vis a vis
"Natural Hygiene" procedures which, supposedly, Herbert Shelton helped shape.
I'm curious why Shelton's methods left him open to such a wicked degenerative
disease.   So, I'm still looking for a trace or lead.

Regards,
Rex Harrill