RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 19:04:40 -0700
Something of possible interest from the latest issue of "Tropical Fruit
News" (August 1998, 32(8): 7-9); article titled "Brunei: The Richest
Little Kingdom in the World", by Maurice Kong. A brief excerpt
(within fair use copyright) follows.

From pg. 8:

"I also saw my first litsea fruit (Litsea garciae), a relative of our
familiar avocado (Persea americana), both belonging to the same family,
Lauraceae. The fruit shape and size resembles that of a button
mushroom with its dome-shaped head, varying in color from a beautiful
pink to a cayenne red. The pink variety was the popular color at the
marketplace in Miri, Malaysia, while the cayenne red was most visible in
Brunei...Litsea is said to be similar in taste to an avocado which must
first be steepd in hot water for a few minutes to make it soft before
it can be eaten. I must admit I was very impressed with these beautiful
little mushroom-like fruit, but as an avocado lover, I would not choose
it in preference to avocado. As another exotic vegetable/fruit,
definitely "yes"  without a moment's hesitation, although I must admit,
my first impression was that it did not taste like an avocado..."

Kong then goes on to suggest experimenting with litsea as a rootstock
for avocados in South Florida (it is said to be graft-compatible),
as it may have resistance to Phytophthora root rot.

P.S. "Tropical Fruit News" is published by the Rare Fruit Council
International of Miami, Florida. URL: http://www.gate.net/~tfnews

Tom Billings