RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Aaron Sugarman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 10:03:39 EST

Wes,

<<Not really. But I did mention that if one has problems digesting a
particular raw food, it can be a) blended or juiced, or b) not eaten at
all...We don't necessarily need to resort to cooking it...Other options
exist.>>

Yes, my grandmother has trouble digesting things like corn and other tough raw
foods, perhaps because she doesn't chew it into juice, and her stomach is not
so young and healthy anymore, therefore, she doesn't eat very much of them,
but she can drink a glass-full of carrot juice without a problem.

So, yes, better to juice those carrots than eat them cooked, from what I can
see.  I can't see why anyone would logically cook them rather than juice them
or throw them in a vitamix.  It would be like taking a stack of $100 bills and
burning them until you only had $100 left before going out on a shopping
spree.

A lot of people seem to heal on macrobiotic diets which are essentially 100%
cooked from what I've seen.  Then again, I went to a macro-biotic conference
once and was not impressed with people's state of health.  Nice people.  Calm
in a certain way from being vegetarian.  Clean in a certain way.  But they
looked like they could really use raw food, and maybe some animal foods.  A
lot of them had horrible teeth, which was strange.  I met Michio Kushi's son
and he had the most horrible teeth I've ever seen, like looking a photo from
Pottenger's book, only worse. Sunken chest.  Nice guy.

Some of them tried to convince me I should cook my fruit!!!!  Some tried to
convince me that eating raw foods only was bad, and that I needed some cooked
foods.  It was like some old episode of Scooby Doo or something.  Everyone had
been turned into cooked Zombies, and like good Zombies, they were trying to
get me to be a Zombie, only I felt like the last and only sane, sober person
on the face of the planet.   I could see how satisfied they would have felt if
I had pretended to eat some cooked food, and then consciously taken on their
'buzz'.

Anyone who wants perspective on raw vs cooked might want to read books like
Give Your Dog a Bone, by Ian Billinghurst, or talk to people who have used raw
diets to help their pets recover from diseases.  No belief systems with dogs.
No placebos with dogs.  Just reality and living bodies reportedly restored
with raw foods...

There must have been an advantage to cooking foods for people to think it up
and adopt it years and years ago.  Perhaps the body is overworked and harmed
by the cooking, but perhaps other more acute problems are avoided.  Can't
munch down a lot of raw grains.  Don't want to get sick every third time you
eat raw meat from your wild kill in the hot jungle.

But why would people cook meat when they can dry it? Anyone know?

I saw a documentary on some tribe in South America somewhere and their custom
was to thoroughly cook all their meat until all the blood was gone.  Then the
meat would be eaten over a period of days.  Probably had a purpose beyond
addiction to barbeque for it to become custom...  Probably some form of safety
factor...

Aaron