RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Franke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 12:35:27 +0100
Hi, Frank!

> First the news. They reported that spraying new born chicks with 32 some
> odd good bacteria makes it virtually impossible for salmonella to
> coexist in the chickens. A giant step to better poultry.
This is sure good news but not so new as a concept as one could
think. So called "probiotics" (what means microorganisms which are
part of a healthy flora) are increasingly investigated and
administered as an alternative to antibiotics. Actually, a interesting
scientific field...

> Now the exciting part. Could this signal a shift in thinking from trying
> to control or override nature through man made chemicals and methods to
> a thought process of trying to help nature do its own wonderful work by
> supporting its needs. I may be a dreamer, but without dreams there is no
> hope. I realize that veterinarian science has always been light years
> ahead of human medicine. But I still think it is significant that the
> corporate news which is controlled by such corporate interests as the
> pharmaceutical and insurance companies would give natural methods there
> do.

I'm afraid you are a bit too optimistic. Sure, alternatives to
antibiotics are getting more and more attention in the scientific
world (as more and more bugs grow resistant to common antibiotics).
BUT: you can't sell a lactobacillus as expensive as a chemical
substance, so  the interests of pharmaceutical companies still remain
mainly at chemotherapeutics.

Regards, Sylvia