RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellie Rotunno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 18:10:49 -0700
Jean-Louis Tu wrote:
> It has long been an intruguing fact to me that most raw-food eaters are thin, a few
> underweight and a few slightly overweight but virtually no one seriously
> overweight. One of the myths of raw food is that, as cooked food is toxic, it
> exceeds the capacity of elimination of the body and thus, the body stores the
> toxins in fat tissues, waiting for better days. Proof: everyone knows that
> toxins accumulate in fat,

I didn't know that toxins preferentially accumulate in fat. Could you
tell me where I could read more about this.

>  *many RAF eaters also practice food combination, thus don't eat a lot of carbs
> and fat at the same meal.
>  *the only way to eat a lot of raw fat and carbs is to have a diet consisting
> mostly of fatty animal food and honey. But the case of Aajonus eating honey by
> the gallon is unique (BTW, I don't understand why a diabetic should use honey,
> which has a high glycemic index): raw honey has a clear instinctive stop. In
> addition, RAF and honey at the same meal is a bad combination for most people.
> And finally, even Aajonus still has a low- to mid-carb diet.

> Of course, there are some genetic factors too. Personally, whatever my diet
> (cooked or raw), when I don't eat excessively, my weight is always around 64 kg
> for 1.78m (141 lbs for 5'10). However, I noticed that I was able to put on 4 kg
> (8 lbs) by eating high amounts of bread and butter (in a distant past), or dates
> and avocados and nuts (8 months ago).

> Additional ideas and comments are of course greatly appreciated.

I've been interested in this too, since I have a damaged pancreas, and my glucose tolerance test
says I'm diabetic, but my glycosylated
hemoglobin, lipids, etc, say I'm not. I think it is because I have been
eating a lot of fatty RAF and honey and dates too. And I my weight has
remained stable through the period of increased fatty RAW and honey.
Here's an experiment I just did.

1. 4 TBS unheated honey...1hr. glucose=261 and was over 200 for 2 hr.
2. 1 avacodo plus 4 TBS honey...1hr glucose=250, still too high.
3. 2 very fatty raw Boston mackerel + 4TBS honey...1 hr. glucose=124 and
fifteen minutes later was 87. Very normal.

I read that carbohydrates and fat increase the release of insulin. The
blood sugar levels are lower. The body mobilizes fat for energy.  This
way the weight is not increased, and honey is OK for diabetics when eaten
with fat.

My best, Ellie