RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stefan Jöst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 00:18:13 +0200
Anwar J Goins wrote:
>I wanna get some opinions on eating meat from the supermarket. I
>believe meat is very good nutrition and that humans are fully capable of
>using and utilizing it on a daily basis and in high
>quantities(preferably if raw) so we are not talking about this.
>Rather, I want to discuss supermarket meat quality. I would prefer to buy
>organic but I just don't have the resources for that and would like to
>include meat in my diet more often than buying organic will allow.

If supermarket means conventional meat from grain fed animals I can
tell you one simple thing: forget it! It's incredible low quality,
filled up with antibiotics, artificial hormones and other toxic waste.
You don't do yourself a favour be eating this stuff.

The minimal quality would be "organic" which can be obtained in special
organic supermarkets, e.g. "Whole Foods Market". But there are differen-
ces. Some animals are raised on pastures and are grain fed for the last
months of there life. Meat from "Colemans" has been discussed on this
list and seems to be of good quality. Maybe you should search for this
word in the list's archives.

The next higher level would be meat from wild animals.

Carol asked:
>I'm curious about what people here think about raw meat that has
>been frozen.  Is it still substantially more healthful than cooked meat?

Yes, it is. Freezing is a weak denaturation which lowers the quality
a bit. Cooking alters the meat completely creating lots of new substances,
among them carcinogens, oxidating agents, etc.
Of course unfrozen organic meat from pasture fed animals would be best.
If not available frozen would be the next choice, IMHO.

Best instinctive regards,

Stefan