RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 23:08:28 -0600
Sylvia:
>For strorage and shipping bacterial cultures are normally lyophilized
>(freeze-dried). The bacteria are harvested from whatever culture,
>washed with isotonic buffers and then freeze-dried to give a powder
>that can be stored, shipped , etc.

Sylvia, you seem to know a lot about the many colonies of small critters
that occupy our guts.  There seems to be a fair amount of controversy over
what kind of bacterial cultures are the best to ingest.  Claims are made
for the uniqueness of each product and why each particular one is the only
that is able to survive our stomach acids thanks to a special proprietary
process and a special type/blend of rare culture(s) with unique properties.
 Just the other day a chiropractor told me that a special culture from
"Metagenics" that is delivered overnight packaged in ice is the only viable
culture that will do the job.  I would appreciate to get your opinion on
this.

Also, I have often wondered that if antibiotics kill off the good flora in
our intestines, why is it that most people after a treatment of antibiotics
are able to digest their foods with no problem?

Best, Peter