RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wes Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 06:04:56 -0500
On Mon, 26 May 2003 11:40:26 -0700, Frank Kuan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>do all 22 enzymes survive the 60 day fermentation
>process from raw milk to raw cheese?
>
>-fk

I just thought I'd comment about that "60 day fermentation process", more
commonly referred to simply as "aging". I read that aging cheese for that
length of time results in the cholesterol in it becoming oxidized. Oxidized
cholesterol is not good for cardiovascular health (and other aspects of
health). The original studies that found dietary cholesterol to be "bad"
were using oxidized cholesterol.

Also, I once emailed a raw cheese vendor and asked them if the cheese was
truly raw (unheated). They told me it wasn't, and was heated to fairly
significant temperatures for a period of time. So, many of those commonly
available "raw" cheeses are not truly raw.

If you experience excess mucus in relation to eating the cheese, that's not
an uncommon experience. That, coupled with the body odor, and who knows what
else is going on "beneath the surface" may help you in answering your own
original question, which was, "raw cheese: good or bad?".

Wes