RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 10:56:12 -0700
Dariusz ROZYCKI <[log in to unmask]>:
>what's the story on commercial bananas?  I find I can eat them while
>organic ones have no taste or taste bad.  what do they put in them?
>are they a really bad fruit for IE?

Tom:
According to the book "Diet for a Poisoned Planet", bananas are one of
the safest comercial fruits. It seems that despite use of pesticides and
fungicides, the thick peel of the banana absorbs most of the "bad stuff",
and the fruit is OK (so long as you don't eat the peel).

Organic bananas are also fumigated, for that is required for import
into most countries. Organic fruit has a somewhat different distribution
network, so perhaps the organic fruit was refrigerated longer, or not
fully ripened? As growing organic bananas is a specialty crop, perhaps
the growers are growing a bug-resistant, but less tasty, variety than
the standard commercial growers? [Speculation].

As I'm not an instincto, I will let others comment on the use of bananas in
IE.

Regards,
Tom Billings