RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sun, 19 Oct 1997 11:01:58 -0700
Some time ago I did an article on using sprouted oats to make milk
substitues. That article is in the raw-foods list archive, address:

            < http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/raw-food.html >,

and is also on at least two other sites: <http://www.chetday.com>, and
<http://www.living-foods.com>.  I also posted, a few months ago, another
article on the topic - that article is in the raw-food archive; it might
also be at the living-foods site and/or <http://www.rawtimes.com> (recipe
section of rawtimes). I'm not certain whether it is at the latter two
sites.

Anyway, now that the preliminaries are out of the way, I can come to the
point. Although the focus of my articles is using sprouted oats, I have
told people that they can substitute whole, hulled oats (which don't
sprout), soaked for 24 hours in water (refrigerator), for the sprouted
oats. It has been a long time since I used soaked whole oats instead of
sprouting oats. Recently I ran out of sprouting oats (and the supplier,
Jaffe Bros., was outof stock when I called a few weeks ago), so I have
resorted to using the soaked oats. I am posting to remind folks that
soaked oats are a reasonable option, and to tell folks that the milk
substitute made with soaked oats might actually taste better to some of
you. So, if you tried sprouted oats and found it "too bitter", you might
want to try it with soaked oats, and see if it is OK. (The soaked oats
give a more "milk-like" taste than the sprouted.)

Good luck with your experiments!

Regards,
Tom Billings