RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 08:11:22 +0000
Hi John!

> Is spirulina (blue-green algae) really good for you?

There are reports both ways on your question. Much of the information
on the newsgroups about spirulina suggests that the B12 in it is an
analogue which the body can't absorb. Others who take it have
increased B12 levels in their bloodstream. Go figure.

> The few times I've tried it, I noticed a definite increase
> in energy and ability to concentrate.

If you took Super Blue Green Algae, your experience equates to the
experience that thousands have had. Some folks on the net suggest
this increased energy high comes from an analogue of cocaine in the
product. Others say nonsense. Go figure.

> What's the best way to take it?

I spent over $125 on Super Blue Green Algae and experimented with it
for about three months. I had no benefits plus-wise, noticed nothing
in terms of better energy or concentration. Since I subscribe to the
school of "if it's natural and it tastes good it's probably good for
you" thinking, I popped open a capsule and tried the stuff under my
tongue. Very bad reaction to it--tasted terrible and didn't feel good
at all. My wife, who takes all kinds of supplements, did this
experiment with me and she had no reactions, plus or minus. We
concluded not to add Super Blue Green Algae to our diets. I also
tried Earthrise Spirulina once. Had a headache from a tablespoon of
it that lasted two days, so I threw the bottle of that stuff out.

> I tried something called Golden Energy a few times and
> noticed the same effects. This contains spirulina and
> some other things too, including ginsing, I think.

Ginsing's known for its stimulating effect.

In four years of experimenting with various so-called natural
supplements, I've only found one that I purchase and use on a regular
basis and that I consider an essential part of my diet. And that's
AIM BarleyGreen. I get terrific results from this product, and it
tastes great to me right out of the jar.

Anyway, for more detailed info on spirulina and Super Blue Green
Algae, go check out misc.health.alternative and there's also an
article about supplements and BarleyGreen on my website. Choose the
supplement choice from the menu on the home page.
articles:  http://members.GNN.COM/chetday/open.htm