RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 02:06:16 -0500
Tom:
>If anyone has an actual nutritional analysis for wheatgrass (whole or in liquid juice form - not the freeze >dried), please post the citation. Many people here will likely be interested! P.S. by nutritional analysis, I >mean something similar to that found in the USDA "Composition of Foods" handbooks.

On pages 159-188 in Ann Wigmore's "The Alchemy of Change" you will find
some mostly incomplete but still useful charts on the nutrient content of
wheatgrass and various sprouts.  The chemist, Harvey C. Lisle from Ohio,
and the biologist Dr. Earp-Thomas, M.D. from N.J. did most of the
laboratory research for Ann Wigmore.  She claims in her book that
Earp-Thomas is the leading wheatgrass expert in the world and that he has
isolated over 100 different elements in fresh wheat grass.

In Seibold's "Cereal Grass" (pg. 51) there is a good analysis of the
nutrient content of - I know - freeze dried cereal grass.  If you rehydrate
the grass you basically have wheatgrass juice less the loss of some enzymes
& lifeforce.

Best, Peter

============================

>From Seibold's "Cereal Grass":

Typical analysis of dehydrated cereal grass 3.5 grams (7-5oo mg. tablets of
1 tsp. powder)

VITAMINS:                                     PROTEIN                 800 mg
Vitamin A               1750 I/U              CRUDE FIBER             600 mg
Vitamin K                280 mcg              CALORIES                 10
Vitamin C                 11 mg               CHLOROPHYLL              19 mg
Vitamin E                1.1 mcg              CARBOHYDRATES           1.3 mg
Thiamin                   10 mcg
Choline                    1 mg               AMINO ACIDS:
Riboflavin                71 mcg              Lysine                   29 mg
Pyridoxine                54 mcg              Histidine                16 mg
Vitamin B-12               1 mcg              Arginine                 39 mg
Niacin                   263 mcg              Asparatic Acid           78
mg
Pantothenic               84 mcg              Threonine                37 mg
Biotin                     4 mcg              Glutamic Acid            85 mg
Folic Acid                38 mcg              Proline                  33
mg
                                              Glycine                  41 mg
MINERALS:                                     Alanine                  48 mg
Calcium                   18 mg               Valine                   44
mg
Phosphorus                18 mg               Isoleucine               31
mg
Potassium                112 mg               Tyrosine                 18 mg
Magnesium                3.6 mg               Phenylalanine            38 mg
Iron                       2 mg               Methionine               15 mg
Manganese                 35 mg               Cystine                   8 mg
Selenium                 3.5 mcg              Tryptophan                4 mg
Sodium                     1 mg               Amide                    10 mg
Zinc                    17.5 mcg              Purines                   2 mg
Iodine                     7 mcg              Serine                    85
mg
Copper                   0.2 g
Cobalt                  1.75 mcg

Sources:
1) Kohler, G. 1953.  The unidentified vitamins of grass and alfalfa.
Feedstuffs, August 8, 1953.

2) Laboratory Analyses, September 6, 1989.  Nutrition International, East
Brunswick, NJ.