RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Blake Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 22:09:47 +0800
Ok I do have some time.

This was from a hacres newsletter on September 14, 2000:

"John Robbins, in his book "Diet for a New America," informs
us that if persons eliminate animal products from their diet
they reduce their chance of ever having a heart attack or
stroke by up to 96%. "

He claims this although the biggest ever study on vegetarians found that
vegans only had 26% lower rates than the general population and that
lacto-ovo vegetarians actually had less at 34% than the general pop. This
study pooled together info from 5 large studies on vegetarians.

"Further categorization of diets showed that, in comparison with regular
meat eaters, mortality from ischemic heart disease was 20% lower in
occasional meat eaters, 34% lower in people who ate fish but not meat, 34%
lower in lactoovovegetarians, and 26% lower in vegans. There were no
significant differences between vegetarians and nonvegetarians in mortality
from cerebrovascular disease, stomach cancer, colorectal cancer, lung
cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, or all other causes combined."

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 70, No. 3, 516S-524S, September
1999
Mortality in vegetarians and nonvegetarians: detailed findings from a
collaborative analysis of 5 prospective studies1,2,3
Timothy J Key, Gary E Fraser, Margaret Thorogood, Paul N Appleby, Valerie
Beral, Gillian Reeves, Michael L Burr, Jenny Chang-Claude, Rainer
Frentzel-Beyme, Jan W Kuzma, Jim Mann and Klim McPherson

Blake