RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 23:32:11 -1000
Ah SugarHoneyIceTea, color didn't work. Here it is again, colorless...

I finally have my first edition of NFL and a copy of Raw Eating by A.T.
 Hovanessian in hand, and, as promised earlier, would like to post a few
 snippets from each for everyone's amusement. Peter certainly wasn't kidding
 when he said the plagiarism appeared to be extensive. Indeed, it is nearly
 paragraph for paragraph in many chapters. Since it is so unbelievably easy
 to find the matching paragraphs (mostly they are in order, blow by blow,
 but there has been some rearranging) which were so blatently stolen, I may
 post a periodic reminder of NFL's absolute lack of honesty, integrity, and
 originality. Until they threaten to sue me--then I'll post them
 SEMI-periodically ;)

ind below nearly all of NFL's Chapter 5, as it is ripped off from Raw
 Eating. Don't worry--an NFL "chapter" is only six paragraphs in this case
 ;) And as a special bonus for plowing through that whoooooooole chapter
 there awaits you my personal favorite (so far at least) in NFL plagiarism
 at the end.

[THOSE ALL-CAPS WOULD BE LIL 'OL ME]

Hovanessian, paragraph one, page 13: Addiction to Cooked Food is the Most
 Dangerous of All Vices

"The reader may naturally wonder why none of the numerous scientists and
 professors sees these simply truths and why nobody tells us that eating
 cooked foods is unnatural and dangerous. The reason is that the whole of
 mankind are food addicts and food-addiction has blinded everybody. Nobody
 realizes that cooked-eating is a vice and that it is indeed the most
 terrible of all vices."

NFL page 15, Chapter 5: Cooked Food: A Physio-Chemical Addiction

"Addiction conquers science and takes it into its talons." --Aterhov

[A DIRECT QUOTE FROM "ATERHOV"!!! AS IF THE REST ISN'T "QUOTED" AS
WELL.)

"Many people naturally wonder why none of the numerous "learned" scientists
 and philosophers understand these simple Truths and why nobody has yet told
 humanity that eating cooked food is unnatural and dangerous. The reason is
 that all of humanity is addicted to cooked food and that addiction has
 blinded everybody. Nobody realizes that cooked-food eating is a vice. It
 is, in fact the most terrible vice of all."

Hovanessian, page 13, still the first paragraph:

"It is not a craving after only one kind of substance but the sum total of
 one's voracious longings for thousands of substances (and what
 "marvellous", "desirable" substancs at that!). Besides, short-sighted
 cooked-eaters see richness and excellence in the multiplicity of the
 debasements to which foodstuffs are subjected, whereas it is the very
 multiplicity of the dabasements that gives rise to the multiplicity of
 harms, the true reflection of which can be seen in the large variety of
 illnesses which prevail in the world today."

NFL page 15 Chapter 5, second paragraph of Chapter 5:

"Cooked-food addiction encompasses not just a craving for one type of
 substance, but hundreds, even thousands, of substances. On top of this,
 short-sighted cooked-eaters see richness and excellence in the mutiplicity
 of debased foodstuffs. It is this very multiplicity of debasements that
 gives rise to a multiplicity of harms. A true reflection of this can be
 seen in the large variety of illnesses that prevail in the world
 today--especially in the 'rich, developed' world." (NICE TOUCH, EH? SINCE
 IRAN WAS NEITHER]

Hovanessian, page 13, second paragraph:

"Man becomes addicted to these substances that contain poisons such, as tea,
 coffee, tobacco, alcohol, opium, cocaine, morphine, etc. The strong craving
 for these substances is stimulated by corresponding poisons collected in
 the human organism. Cooked foods produce a large variety of poisons which,
 in the course of time, are stored in different parts of the organism, such
 as on the walls of veins and capillaries, between the joints, in the center
 of fat cells and elsewhere."

NFL page 15-16, 3rd and 4th paragraph of chapter 5:

"Human beings become addicted to substances that contain poisons, such as
 tea, coffee, cooked marijuana, cooked tobacco, alcohol, cocaine, heroin,
 etc. Addictions promote and defend themselves. [DOES THAT MAKE NFL AN
 ADDICTION, I WONDER ;) AND IS RAW MARIJUANA AND RAW CHEWBACCO
OK BY NFL
 THEN? ;)]
        "The strong craving for these substances is stimulated by corresponding
 poisons collected in the human organism. Cooked foods contain a large
 variety of poisons which, in the course of time, are stored in different
 parts of the body. They are deposited on the walls of veins and
 capillaries, between the joints, in the center of fat cells, and elsewhere.
"

Hovanessian, page 13, still the second paragraph:

"Just as the craving of a drug addict for heroin does not arise from the
 normal physiological needs of his body, so the desire of a cooked-food
 eater for cooked food, his feeling of hunger, is not the normal demand of
 his organism; rather it is the demand of his addiction. It is the
 expression of impulses that are stimulted by the poisons collected in the
 human organism; it is the demand of the diseases nestled in the body, the
 call of man's worst enemy."

NFL, page 16, paragraph 5 of chapter 15:

"The crack addict's craving for rock cocaine does not arise from the normal
 physiological needs of the organism; it is created by a physio-chemical
 addiction. Similarly, the desire for cooked food, is not a physiological
 need, but a physio-chemical addiction. It is the expression of impulses
 that are stimulted by the poisons  and malformed cells thriving in the
 organism. It is the demand of the diseases nestled in the body, the call of
 humanity's worst enemy." [LEST ANYONE CLAIM THEY ARE SEXIST, EH? ;)]

Hovanessian, page 13, third and final paragraph:

"That terrible vice is introduced into the body of every human being by his
 own parents right from the cradle. That is why the moment the baby begins
 to take notice and start talking, food-addiction has already secured a firm
 hold on him and from that moment to the very end of his life he regards
 cookd food as his normal diet and his strong craving for it as his
 physiological demand; it is this that he mistakes for real hunger."

NFL, 16, sixth and final paragraph (except for the "cooked food is poison"
 tag ;)):

"That terrible vice is introduced into the body of every human being by his
 or her own mother when still an embryo via the umbilical cord and placenta.
 Once the child is born the parents unwittingly continue this insane
 process. Even before the child has learned to talk, cooked-food addiction
 has already secured a physio-chemical hold on the organism. From that
 moment to the end of s/he regards cooked food as normal and natural and the
 craving for it s/he mistakes for hunger."

[HERE IS A BONUS PARAGRAPH FOR READING THIS FAR]

Hovanessian, page 108, third full paragraph:

"Perhaps some of my readers may not like my tone of writing. In their
 opinion my expressions should preferably be more scientific (adorned with a
 Latin terminology unintelligible to most people), more conciliatory
 (complaisant), more serious (hypocritical), more compromising
 (unscrupulous), more courteous (lying), and more tactful (cowardly). But I
 prefer to be decisive, sincere and bold. And that is how I shall be, even
 if I find the whole world against me. I am confident that I shall be
 supported by all sensible people and vindicated by future generations."

NFL, page 178-9

"Perhaps some people do not like our tone of writing. In their opinion our
 expressions should preferably be more scientific (adorned with Greek and
 Latin terminology unintelligible to most people), more conciliatory
 (milquetoast), more serious (hypocritical), more compromising
 (unscrupulous), more courteous (filled with lies), and more tactful
 (cowardly). We are driven by forces seeded in our blood. We are decisive
 and bold. We are accurate and succinct. We hold nothing back and get right
 to the point. That is how we shall be, even if we find the whole world
 against us. We are confident that we shall be supported by all sensible
 people and vindicated by future generations."

[ONCE AGAIN, MORE "SUCCINCTLY" IN CASE YOU MISSED IT THE FIRST
TIME:]

Hovanessian, page 108, third full paragraph, third sentence:

"But I prefer to be decisive, sincere and bold."

NFL, page 179, second full sentence:

"We are decisive and bold.

They are laughing stocks is more like it. A final chesnut before I call it a  night:

NFL, from page 173 in the first edition (and from p.171 of the 2nd edition,  I'm told):

"It may be said that Truth is the highest virtue, but we have found that
living truthfully is higher still."

Ouch! Could they be more serious (hypocritical)?

I looked around in Raw Eating to see which sentence of Hovanssian's they
 might have lifted for this gem, but haven't come across it yet. Perhaps
 this sentence is an original for the Milli Vanelli trio. I'm not sure which
 would be funnier: if it was actually penned by our favorite plagiarists or
 if it was plagiarized.

I'm also wondering why it took all three of these fellows to "write" their  book.
Any ideas?

Cheers,
Kirt

PS-- Permission granted to anyone to repost this anywhere you'd care to.=
 Oprah would love this stuff I'm sure...or is the cattlemen who would love=
 it--I forget ;)