RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 12:32:28 +0200 (MET DST)
Ellie:
> In explaining the risk they pointed to
> chemical substances called HCAs(heterocyclic amine) and other heat
> related compounds such as polycyclic hydrocarbons, which produce tumors
> in the GI tracts of lab animals. HCAs cause cancer in animals and trigger
> cellular mutations.

I think that PAH (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) are not Maillard
molecules, but they are caused by cooking too. They appear only at
high temperatures (>350 F ? Not sure), and also in smoked food, which
explains the high incidence of some cancers among Norvegians (who eat
a lot of smoked fish). Carcinogenicity of PAH was discovered (or at
least suspected) many years ago, but as far as I know, there is no
scientific evidence of toxicity of mild cooking.

Anyway, although it was proved many years ago that oil heated at high
temperature produces carcinogenic compounds, French fries are still a
staple for many...

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis.