RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 01:55:49 -0600
Elysa, good to have you on board!

Elysa:
>What does heat do to vitamins and minerals ?  According to various experts in
>the field of raw and living nutrition - heat destroys enzymes, vitamins, and
>minerals, depending on the temperature and duration of exposure.

I thought that most of the fat soluble vitamins survived cooking and that
the mineral content pretty much remained the same.  Do any of these raw
experts mention anything about this?

> Anything cooked over 5 minutes at over 212 degrees is reported to lose
>close to 50% of it's food value.

Do you have a reference for this?  I am in the process of trying to get
hold of a Swiss paper from 1990 that I understand shows that when foods are
cooked beneath their "critical temperature" (around 190-210 degrees
Fahrenheit) they do not cause leukocytosis in the human body. I will post
the paper if/when I get my hands on it.

Best, Peter

PS.  Let us know when you get a time slot for your raw food cable show and
keep us updated on which local cable companies will be showing it.