RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Barbara Sheppard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 19:51:20 +1000
Kirt:
>You could argue that there would be decreased pain with better nutrition,
>but who knows?

Stefan:
>Raw eaters frequently have less sensations of pain

Are you suggesting here that a body which is better nourished is less
likely to give the relevant pain signals when there is a significant
problem, or simply that problems are less likely to occur, or to be of a
lesser intensity when they do?

Kirt:
>The track record of rawists dental problems is VERY poor, especially when
>on high fruit diets.

My diet would probably be no more than about 30% fruit (by volume). Is that
regarded as high?

Kirt:
>If I were you, I would take any discomfort seriously
>and have it taken care of promptly.

Stefan:
>Teeth are a difficult issue even (if not more) under a raw regimen.
>If there are frequent problems I would go for an examination always.
>You've got no second set of teeth.

Yes, I guess this is probably sound advice. But the reason for my
hesitation in seeking conventional treatment is not some kind of idealistic
stubbornness. It is simply that, if there is a possibility that my body may
be able to deal with a minor problem on its own, then I feel I may
interfere with that process and actually make the situation worse by
accepting such treatment. However, I guess no-one really knows for sure.

Stefan:
>Which material was used for the old and the new filling?

Both amalgam, I think. :(

>And I'd never ever have an amalgam filling installed. I am so happy
>that I have gotten rid of those nasties and have overcome most of the
>consequences.

Yes, I am aware of the controversy surrounding amalgam, and I'm still not
quite sure what to think about it. Certainly, given a choice now, I would
opt for an alternative material, but I don't know whether I would want to
go to the extent of having all my old fillings replaced.

Kirt:
>Or...you could listen to the advice of Joshua Rainbow, a longtime
>fruitarian, who says that loss of teeth os a good thing, that it is a sign
>of your body ridding itself of its carnivorous traits ;)

I have no desire to go down such a path! :)

Thanks for the comments and advice.

Regards,
Barbara