RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rex Harrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Apr 1998 14:00:06 -0400
    Although this seems to be pro vs. con as far as vegetarianism, I
thought the Instinctos on the list would find the second, third, and
last paragraphs most interesting.  The book was written in 1975 and Paul
claimed to be 85 at the time.
--------------------------------------

VEGETARIANISM - MEAT-EATING  (page 78)

Over the 50 years or more that I have been a Nutritionist, the
controversy of "Vegetarianism vs. Meat-eating" has raged furiously.
Both sides present the most scientific reasons for their side of the
story.  I am not going to
try to persuade you to be either a vegetarian or a meat-eater.  There
are hundreds of books written on both of these subjects.  in my own
life, I try to eliminate the word "NEVER" when it comes to food.

Over the years of following a program of fasting, and with a diet
containing an abundance of raw fruit and raw vegetables, my body has
become so keen that it practically tells me what to eat at every meal.
Over the years
on this diet, my body has lost the desire for meat and fish, and my diet
is composed of raw fruits and vegetables, cooked fruit, and cooked
vegetables with nuts, nut-butters, seeds, raw wheat germ, Brewer's
yeast, and legumes.

This is what my body seems to thrive on, but as I said, I don't like the
word "NEVER," because there are times when my body tells me to eat a
piece of meat or a piece of fish, or to have some natural cheese or a
few fertile
eggs.  In other words, my body has developed an instinct for the
selection of foods. Sometimes I go 4 or 5 years without tasting either
meat or fish, then my body will telegraph that I need a piece of meat or
fish, and I eat it.  This inner voice has helped me enormously.

Basically, I have been a vegetarian by nature all my life.  I was reared
on a large farm in Virginia where hundreds of hogs and cattle were
slaughtered . . . so killing has always been repulsive to me.  I have
never been a hunter or a fisherman, because I do not like to take
another life.  I have made 13 expeditions to primitive lands, and I have
found many robust, healthy people living on a vegetarian diet.  On the
other hand, I have found people in primitive places who enjoyed higher
health and yet included animal products in their diets.  I roamed the
South Seas for over a year at one time and in those far flung islands, I
found supermen and women and they not only lived on an abundance of
fresh fruit and vegetables, but they included fish, fowl, and some meat
in their diet.

So you see, I have tried to be as fair as I could about this question of
Vegetarianism vs. Meat-eating.  I feel that as we cleanse and purify the
body, we develop a keen sense of selection.