RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 1995 07:50:13 -0400
Note: responses to two different questions follow....

In a recent post to veg-raw by [log in to unmask] (Lawrence Tan), the
question is raised concerning energy levels in processed foods:

>How about microwaved food? What's the rating on the Kirlian list?

>From "Conscious Eating" (pg. 366),  the ratings of food energy, based on
Kirlian photography, are as follows ( rating from food with the most
energy to food with the least):

1. raw
2. wok cooked
3. steaming
4. microwave
5. pressure cooked or long boiling
6. deep frying
7. barbecued or grilled
8. oven baked

I would mention that some people (cooked food eaters, not just raw fooders)
refuse to eat microwaved food on the grounds that it is cooked with "radiation".

In a recent post to veg-raw by [log in to unmask],  the question was
raised concerning baked food:

>Does it still apply if cooking times are constant?  I
>ask because I love baked potatoes...

The discussion of the experiments with Kirlian photography in "Conscious Eating"
does not include precise times of cooking. However an examination of the list
(above) shows that those methods that typically involve longer cooking and/or
higher temperatures,  have the least energy in the processed food. If this
concerns you, you might try cutting the potatoes into small pieces and steaming
or wok cooking them; an alternate is to (again cut into small pieces) "heat"
them at 118-120 degrees F for a few hours. This type of "heated" food is
currently in fashion in certain raw food circles (see potato recipes, "Conscious
Eating", pgs. 471, 473). Getting back to your precise question, I think that
if cooking times are constant then energy losses will be a function of
cooking temperature.

Tom Billings