RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 19:48:34 -0700
Roberto writes:
>When I arrived to Lima City (Peru) I waited to feel a very very hot
>temperature, but...it was not so. Lima is close to the sea. And the sea
>comes from the south and the water temperature is really cold. Lima is
>hotter than La Paz, but it is not as hot as I would like.

>Peru is the best that I have known in fruits! Quantity, quality, diversity,
>price, taste... Nine month a year you have very very sweet water melons! Ten
>or twenty sweet diferent fruits twelve months a year! Wonderfull chirimoyas
,>different kinds of sweet oranges, etc. (I don't want to bother you but if
>you want I can continue telling you about them).

Hi and welcome Roberto. Peru does have a great tradition of fruit! We lived
near the Mercado Monterrico for 2 years so I know what you mean. Getting
into lucuma at all?

>In Peru I had not too much success at the beginning. But now I am relatively
>happy. I am in my 14=B0 month of 100% frutarian diet. During the last 14 month
>I have eaten nothing but RAW FRUIT. No salt, no sugar, no seeds, no nuts, no
>water, nothing cooked, nothin but raw fruit.

>I have received a lot of benefits in my health. But my health is no good
>enought yet.

>Why? I exactly don't know. But I continue looking for. I suppose that the
>reason is that I use to eat some fruits that I feel they poisson my blood:
>avocados, and other local fruits full of grease and starch. I feel they make
>my blood ACID. And I can't stop of eating them. I need them like a drug. I
>have never smoken, drunk or used drugs. But I think these fruits are as
>addicted as the drugs.

Welcome to the avocado overeaters anonymous club--along with me. Peru is
the place to (over)eat avos, no? Absurdly cheap and plentiful and so many
varieties!

or what it's worth, I would second Douglas' suggestion to eat more veggies
and would even go one step further and suggest the possibility of including
some seafood in your diet if you are still frustrated after a time on a
plant-based diet. The flounder, corvina, mullet (merliza?), and another
rich fish commonly available which I can't remember the name of--all are
quite delicious raw (esp air-dried in front of a fan for a day or two) if
your body needs their particular nutrients. Another option would be to make
a raw ceviche of your own so that you could control the ingredients.

I know such suggestions might seem almost sacrilegious to fruitarian lore,
but it sounds like you've given the fruit a good chance and need to respect
that it is not working for you long-term. There are plenty of other raw
foods to balance your diet with. And if that doesn't work, perhaps some
cooked foods are in order. As attractive as the _idea_ of fruitarianism is,
and as tasty as fruits are, it can be difficult to consider expanding one's
diet after a time on fruit.

In any case, know that you are not alone in finding a fruit-only diet
unsustainable. I, and many others, have found a completely fruitarian diet
to be an ideal which doesn't match to reality. (As my wife says, "I would
love to be a fruitarian, if I could!) I would venture to say that for every
fruitarian who claims long term success, there are at least one hundred
others who have had experiences similar to yours. It is much more likely
that the fruitarian diet is a failure, not _you_! It may be that
deficiencies have already set in for you and no matter how much fruit/avos
you eat you will not be satisfied because your body is in need of non-fruit
foods. One often hears in the raw world that cooked food eaters are overfed
and undernourished, and this may also be true of folks who have
neo-cortically decided to limit their diet to fruit, or sprouts, or
whatever. As some famous guy once said, "We consider that seeing is
believing, but we are much better at believing than seeing!"

Plenty of good veggies in Lima! A special treat is the artichokes, which we
found delicious raw and in season.

Como canyon,
Kirt