RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 09:18:42 +0200
Martha:

>> I wouldn't assume too much about older people. I
>> recently read an article about a woman who took up weight
>> training at the age of 72 (...) Now
>> 79, she has won several championships and could as of the
>> writing do squats (don't know how many) with 100 lbs.

I agree, but it obviously depends on the physical condition of your
body at the time you undertake an exercise program. There is a risk of
injury in most sports: professional tennis players often have injuries
in the knees, in the elbow or in the back. In general, I consider that
these three parts are fragile, regardless of your age (many
ex-athletes have permanent damage in one of these areas), and even
more in older people--and injuries heal more slowly, if they do. So,
hard physical training is not excluded for older people, but they
should take it easy in the beginning, and build up *very* slowly, like
start with light weights, increase weight *very* carefully and *not*
workout until exhaustion.

After a certain age, if you have never practiced any sport in your
life, it is of course too late: I don't think my grandmother will ever
be able to do squats with 100 lbs (she is 96).

--Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>