RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jo Yoshida <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:35:31 -0600
Jean-Louis wrote:

>>I found (from my personal experience, which may differ from other's)
>>that exercising only on the weekends is the best way to feel exhausted
>>and/or have muscle aches on Mondays, while if you exercise every day,
>>your body and muscles quickly adapt.

Jo sez:
Hello JL - the only physical exercise I practise daily is ashtanga yoga
which is yielding benefits nicely without undue stress. I use to run
everyday, rain or shine, but now I don't freak out if I miss three or
four sessions during the week. In other words, I can maintain aerobic
capacity on 3-4 runs per week and I enjoy each one that much more
(probably because I'm not being bull-headed about running everyday and
ignoring the body's need for occasional longer rest periods).

But my strength-training regimen is most definitely complemented by far
more rest and recuperation than that extolled by commercial schools of
body building (three total body sessions per week for the beginner,
escalating to complex super-duper part-specific double split +10
sessions per week). I focus exclusively on multi-joint movements like
the squat or deadlifts once a week, maximum three workouts during a two
week period. That's my recovery capacity and Arnold won't be able to
tell me otherwise.

My workouts, which consist of three core movements, last about thirty
minutes; I'm very sore the next few days. Some day I'll try a training
cycle with squats only.

I've had good results from these abbreviated high intensity workouts in
the past (along with more than adequate rest between sessions) but now
I'm going to experiment with incorporating RAF or CAF to see if I can
garner greater gains than on a raw vegan dietary. I liked the feel of
fruitarianism (not all of it however) but my body just wouldn't thrive
beyond moderate strength levels. I find that enhanced strength and power
may come in handy for tasks such as wrestling bulls or climbing trees to
harvest fruit; but more practically, for me, any dietary that hampers
the development of these physical attributes could benefit from
adjustment. I'm in that space right now.