RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 1997 15:43:47 -0900
Dariusz:
>I suppose I wasn't entirely sure whether foods like honey or seaweed can
>be safely put in the raw group.  After all, they do come in jars and
>plastic bags.

You are wise to be dubious since they both need scrutiny/research if you
plan to eat them instincto. Most seaweed is denatured, as is most honey.
But Maine Coast Sea Vegetables' dulse is top quality in my experience (and
the flakes are less expensive).

Comb honey is honey still in the comb, as I answered previously. It can be
found packaged in plastic rounds of about 6-8 ounces, in 4"x4" wooden
frames in about 10-14 ounce sizes, as "cut comb" usually in plastic sqaure
containers of about 12-16 ounces, or purchased from a beekeeper by the
frame by the pound. If you get some from a beekeeper you might want to try
to get some "brood" from him/her as well--a very interesting and powerful
food. Find bee keepers in the Yellow Pages or by contacting the address on
the quality jarred honey you have found.

I usually prefer dark honies but Melisa favors the light ones overall. If
you ever visit the big island I will let you sample our own self-extracted
honies (about 80 lbs worth in a couple dozen varieties) and you will marvel
at the different flavors and textures of crystalization.

The archives, as usual, has plenty of honey posts. If your interest is keen
enough you will probably do a search...

Cheers,
Kirt