RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Douglas Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 02 Nov 1996 17:45:43
>Where do you live anyway?

I'm in New England

>	It sounds like Szent-Gyorgyi is more up-to-date and may have
>built on Howell's work (or maybe he discovered some of the
> same lines of thought independently).

Don't worry, Szent-Gyorgyi did not build on Howell's work.

>Sounds like Szent-Georgyi might be interesting reading too
> if he ever wrote anything in lay language.  I've already read one
> "senile"biochemist (Pauling); may as well read another.  Do you have
> any recommended books on bioenergetics?

All of S-G's monographs (which he kept somewhat non-technical, but
this is a relative term) are well worth reading, & are available in
most large university science libraries.  "Cancer-The Living State"
& "Bioenergetics" are the only two titles I can remember off the top
of my head.  This is all theoretical stuff, not much that you can
try at home.  Be aware that he was one of the 4 or 5 greatest
biological scientists & there was a big fight to see whether the USA
or the USSR got him after WWII (the USA did).  Hitler just wanted to
kill him.

Has your study of it helped you in any discernible way?

Yeah, I've got lots more energy now :^)

Seriously though, I've only had a chance to read very little about
it, but it is not the sort of thing you can have much control over
living in the late 20th Century.  An allied subject is covered in
Robert Becker's books, "The Body Electric" & "Cross Currents"
[Bread & Circus stores carry both, & the former is probably a lot
better than the latter.]  I've got both, haven't read either.  One
thing I do know is that humans evolved to walk around barefoot, in
contact with the earth which has a negative charge.  I think this is
very important, and sleep with a grounding strap attached to my
wrist.  The body needs electrons, & gets them from the ground,
antioxidants & air ions.  I suspect that a large part of sleep is
just to allow the body to recharge with electrons.

--Doug Schwartz