RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Oct 1996 12:40:26 -0700
Ward:
>Peter (Brandt), I know you've said you've had trouble with blood sugar
>yourself in the M2M, but you were nevertheless able to eat as much as
>50% fruit recently. Can you give us any insight as to how you were
>able to do that successfully?

     I thought you would never ask. :-, It has helped me eating even
less fruit, which now only makes up about 25% of my calorie
consumption. I have cut out sweet fruits like dates, raisins, bananas &
mangoes almost entirely and have limited my selection to apples, pears
and grapes.  I always eat almonds (soaked 24 hours) with my fruit,
which is a delicious combination and often add some romaine lettuce,
celery or cumcumber. Grains, especially combined with fruit, make my
blood sugar skyrocket, and I have virtually eliminated them from my
diet. Daily exercise, eating smaller meals, avoiding all juices except
for green ones, reducing stress, getting enough trace minerals in the
diet by eating algaes or seaweed, eradicating yeast and fungal
overgrowth, replenishing guts with beneficial bacteria & getting enough
protein in the diet all help the body tolerate sugar better.
Stengthening the adrenals, supporting the pancreas & cleansing the
liver should also help, as these are the three organs that help the
body regulate blood sugar levels. The protein issue I am still
struggling with, since refined soy products & misc. protein powders are
the only source of concentrated proteins for vegans. I understand
eating a portion of concentrated protein with each meal, often does
wonders in keeping stable blood sugar levels. (even though they do help
in stabilizing the blood sugar beans & grains contain too much
carbohydrate and seeds & nuts too much fat to qualify as contentrated
proteins)
Hypoglycemia is very rough on the brain, will shorten your lifespan and
can turn life into to hell.  My advice to everybody (& myself :-)) is
whatever it takes to get over it - do it!
For breakfast I have a green drink with soaked almonds & a little
fruit.
For lunch soaked seeds & vegetables
For dinner avoacado, lettuce, tomatoes & seaweed.
Evening snack: soaked almonds with fruit

Best, Peter