RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Frank Wuts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 18:26:42 -0800
LIFE F0RCE wrote:
> Kirt,  I think it was you who mentioned Dr. Kenneth Seaton and his albumin-
> level theory of aging.  Well I called the number that you or someone posted
> for the book and soap package, and according to the company, their soap is
> just a margerine-sized tub of antibacterial soap which evidently is comprised
> of non-toxic chemicals.  Their theory is that bacteria are transmitted from
> fingernails to the mucous membranes of eyes and mouth, and other anti-
> bacterial soaps are made of poisons.

> National Public Radio did a piece about a month ago in which they spoke with a
> number of scientists, Center for Disease Control, and soap companies, and the
> very clear message from all parties (even reluctantly the soap companies) was
> that bacteria do not stick to your skin, and can in fact be rinsed off with
> cold water with 100% effectiveness. Soap (not even the anti-bacterial kind)
> has no purpose whatsoever as far as bacteria are concerned (it's useful for
> getting certain stains off, etc.).

> So this company's special anti-bacterial soap is just another scam, it seems
> to me.  I asked about Kenneth Seaton's book, and it is self-published.  But
> they will sell you the book by itself, without the special soap (which costs
> $60!!!), for $14.

> Anyway - thought I'd mention this conversation for you, or whoever it was, who
> said that they were thinking about ordering the package.

Actually Peter and I wrote about this. It is true there is not much
bacteria content on the skin however under the finger nails it is
different. Here is a table from the book. These are counts per square
centimeter.

        location        male 1          male 2          female 3        male 4
        Thumb nail      50 million      820 million     620,000         370,000
        Index nail      1.1 million     800,000         17 million      850,000
        other nails     100,000         1.2 million     680,000         270,000
        palm            4,700           83              470             2 million
        back of hand    400             1,000           29              170

Quoting from the book:
"These investigators judged that the fingernail area had an almost
inexhaustible reservoir of germs and that experienced surgeons have many
germs under their nails even after a through scrub, 'We have convincing
evidence that surgical scrub does not reduce the microbial propulation
under the fingernails of most persons to acceptable levels'. Even the
hydroscub, develped by the US. Army, using a high pressure wate jet
principle, delivering antiseptic preparations at a constant rat of 1,200
pulsations per minute, and pressures up to two hundred pounds per square
inch wasn't effective (Am. J. Surgery, Vol 138, Sept 1979, pgs 463-7).

They also found that washing your hands actually increased the bacterial
count under you finger nails. I assume it was because the added mosture
helped them spread. Dr. Seaton's approach is not to kill all the germs
but to control their environment so only nonpathogenic bacteria grow. In
fact he would not suggest removing all bacteria because it would led to
fungal growth and worse conditions.
In a study he performed he found that Coagulase Positive Staphyloccus
spp was reduced to zero after eight weeks on the program using nine
volunteers. Appearently it is only the Coagulase Positive Staphyloccus
that produces harmfull effects.

Frank.