RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alan Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 20:02:59 -0600
* Alan Lundin ([log in to unmask]) [991009 04:45]:
* Subject: Re: Loetschental Valley:
> * Thomas E. Billings ([log in to unmask]) [991008 11:45]:
> * Subject: Re: Loetschental Valley:
> > >I found a reference in a book on longevity by Hitchcox
> > >where the average coloric intake of the Hunzas, the
> > >Russian Georgians, and the Vilcabamba indians was given.
> > >All were considerably lower than the American average,
> > >but the lowest was the Vilcabambas at 1200 cal/day.
> > >This is a average, and not much higher than Loren's.
> >
> > And what is known about the accuracy of such estimates?
> > Self-reporting of food intake is often inaccurate, due to
> > uncertain portion sizes, memory lapses, and the limits on
> > food tables (especially tables that don't include the
> > foods eaten in the region of interest).
>
> That's a good question, and unfortunately I can't answer
> it since I just browsed the book at a used-bookstore and
> didn't purchase it.  I did notice, however, that it was
> a heavily cited book, but I didn't grab the references for
> the table.  :-(

I still haven't gone back to get another look at the
Hitchcox book, but I did go back and re-read the
Jan '73, National Geographic article "Every Day is
a Gift When You Are Over 100" and found on page 102:

  "Dr. Guillermo Vela of Quito found a strikingly
  low caloric consumption also amoung the elderly
  of Vilcabamba.  The average daily diet provided
  1,200 calories.  The daily protein intake was 35
  to 38 grams, and of fat only 12 to 19 grams; 200
  to 260 grams of carbohydrate completed the diet.
  Protein and fat again were largely of vegetable
  origin, with only some 12 grams of protein daily
  from animal sources.  Needless to say, one sees
  no obesity amoung the elderly in either Vilcabamba
  or Hunza; neither were there signs of under-
  nutrition."

I'd consider it very likely that either this was
Hitchcox's source, or he and the Nat. Geog. article
author shared the same source.

--alan