RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 13:57:55 -0800
Marie:
>About 10 years ago, after receiving material from T.C.Fry I became a
>fruitarian, for about 3 years.  I never felt better in my life, however,
>due to family pressures, went back onto a regular diet.

Tom:
Fruitarianism can be something of an enigma - it appears to work, in the
short run. This is probably due to the detox/high degree of cleansing that
occurs on such diets. In the long run, deficiencies usually develop - the
very apt "frog in slowly boiling water" analogy that Ward Nicholson used
in the "Health & Beyond" interview (Jan 97) to describe the gradual development
of deficiencies (and other problems) when following a fruitarian diet for a
long term.

Marie:
>One question, Tom:     Do you have any suggestions as to what percentage
>of fruit/vegetables would be good for someone in my predicament?   One of
>my weaknesses now is dried fruit; my naturopathic doctor told me to get
>off that, she prefers I eat fresh fruit...because of the sulphur, added
>sugar, etc.  I am using a dehydrator to make some of my own snacks.

Tom:
I can't give you a precise number from experience, as I have no direct personal
experience with diabetic neuropathy. I can say a few things, however: fruit
should be strictly limited when one is diabetic, the diet should include a lot
of greens, especially bitter greens. [Turmeric and bitter melon are used in the
clinical herbal treatment of diabetes; the Ayurvedic herbs kutki and neem leaf
might be helpful also; Western herbalists also use corn silk.]

Hippocrates Institute recommends a maximum of 15% (by weight) fruit in the diet.
I vaguely recall Brian Clement saying something to the effect that fruit should
be eliminated for a while in diabetes(?). In any case, I would suggest avoiding
dried fruit (too much sugar), limit fresh fruit to 15% or less, and see a
holistic health professional and get on an herbal anti-diabetes program.

Marie:
>Thanks again, Tom, for that wonderful article.

Tom:
I'm glad that you found it interesting. Good luck with your health
situation!

Tom Billings