RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellie Rotunno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 1997 19:20:25 -0800
 Loren Cordain:
> >         When cholesterol containing diets were fed to rabbits, fried or
> > hard boiled eggs produced the highest serum cholesterol levels (10-14
> > times greater than pre-experimental values), scrambled or baked eggs
> > caused elevation of serum cholesterol to 6 to 7 time the
> > pre-experimental level.  Raw or soft boiled eggs only increased serum
> > cholesterol levels 3 to 4 times the pre-experimental level (4).

JL:
> "only" 3 or 4 times? I wouldn't like my cholesterol to increase "only" that
> amount... On the other hand, eggs are not part of rabbits' natural diet.
> I wonder if a diet, high in raw meat, would cause elevation of serum cholesterol
> among humans. Some people on the Paleofood list are complaining that their diet
> doesn't work as well as expected (concerning weight loss and cholesterol), and
> it would be really interesting to know if they would benefit from eating raw or
> not.

My cholesterol was usually around 190 until I started eating lots of raw meat. It dropped to around
170 and the ratio of total to HDl dropped from  3/1 to 2/1. One day I ate a dozen eggs, next day the
total was 188, but the HDL was high..91. Recently I increased the amount of fat, eating lots of
marrow, and I had it tested again. It was 148. My triglycerides are also low.

My best, Ellie