RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
joel strickland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 00:53:42 -0700
Sure.  I turned vegetarian when I was 18, and am now 43.  I try to eat
a lot
of vegetables, quite a bit of fruit, and as little dairy and egg as I
can
easily manage.  I eat lots of tofu, wrapped in whole wheat tortillas
or
sushi nori.  For fat, olive oil, often with soy sauce & nutritional
yeast on
spaghetti noodles or rice.  For milk, fortified soymilk.  I also drink
Ca-fortified orange juice, sometimes in smoothies with soymilk and
frozen
blueberries or some other fruit.

I've been drinking coffee for about 7 years, usually in soy milk
lattes.
Lately I've been trying to switch to green tea.  I infrequently drink
alcohol; when I do, usually red wine.  I never smoke tobacco.

I've been taking supplements for maybe 15 years - vit C, vit E, an
iron-free
multi, lately Co-Q and a Ca/Mg supplement.  Occasionally I'll take
ginseng,
lecithin, flax seed, wheatgrass.  I'm pretty conservative about herbs
and
medicines, basically don't take them, except for what I've listed.

I meditate, run, and lift weights.  I've run 4 marathons in the last 5
years
or so, the fastest in 3h 20m.  According to the gym's bioimpedance
measurements, I'm currently about 25 lbs overweight.

What's my philosophy?   I think food combining is unlikely to be true
- I
don't see how we could have evolved to need to watch combinations so
closely.  I think vegetables have something profound going on with
them,
especially green ones.  I try to keep my cardio system clean with the
exercise, soy products, and antioxident supplements.  (I generally
take vit
C & E before I go for a long run, and like they say, it seems to helps
my
endurance.)  I stress the fruit less because of the risk of diabetes
from
the sugar.   I think there's something to the free radical aging
theory, so
try to avoid fried foods, smokefilled bars, and the like.

When my 2 children were young & breastfeeding, my wife and I tried to
eat
organic, but for the last 10 years or so we've lived near Seattle, and
have
been making do with non-organic.  I read something about how the
benefits of
lots of produce outweighs the costs of them having some pesticides,
which
seems reasonable to me.  So I try to eat more of the less expensive
commercial produce now, choosing the healthier varieties among them,
like
the high antioxident fruits, or high sulfer content brassicas.  I do
think
that organic tastes much better than commercial.

There was a time when I read John McDougall's books
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0832904481/qid=958980472/sr=1-8/002-5
779563-6133000, and tried a low fat diet.  I was working extremely
long
hours, and found myself too exhausted to continue with it.  My
cholesterol
measured 106 during that diet.  I gave that up after 6 months or so.

The first time I tried wheatgrass seriously, I healed a longstanding
infection around a fingernail in about 3 days by applying a wheatgrass
poultice.  At the same time, I had a mole dry up and fall off, and
some gray
hairs turn dark again.  These observations are consistent with the
anecdotal
evidence about wheatgrass.  I recently did a couple of weeks of
drinking
wheatgrass, and it seemed like it helped my performance in the gym, my
blood
pressure and resting heart beat rate went down significantly, but
other than
that, nothing to report.

I've been taking musing over Khalsa's cortisol theory of brain aging
lately
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag97/july-inter97.html, which encourages
me
with my meditating, switching to green tea, and playing with
wheatgrass.