RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Mayne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 14:13:09 -0400
Gerry:

>> David, I think you over reacted to two of the people who, in my humble
>> opinion after many years on both sides of the conventional health
>> fence have contributed some of the most valuable infomation.

David:
Gerry, I must respectfully disagree. Yes, Rex and Alan have contributed
some information; however, as stated by myself and others, they failed
to substantially abide by the guidelines in their lack of accountibility.
Could I have handled the situation better ? Perhaps. In hindsight, I
should have taken a more proactive stance with Alan to try to steer
his postings on course - as it was, I let things go too far, and Alan
remained unaccountable for his claims. Rex's case was a little less
cut and dry, but I still feel that their vacations is the best possible
outcome that could be hoped for given the circumstances. It's not like
this list is the only resource around, they have other forums available
to communicate their positions if desired, and are welcome to return
here once they assure us that their communications will improve.

Gerry:

>> Yet you continue to support and allow the most vociferous and verbally
>> abusive, perhaps due to their limited exposure to anything but "book
>> learning," (Travel does wonders to enlighten, broaden and humble a
>> person) to continue unabatedly.

David:
Notice how any such vociferous "abuses" that you speak of seem to not
be occuring now that Alan and Rex are not posting claims as fact and
not attempting to justify such claims in any substantial form ?
Yeah, I need to get out of Atlanta a little more, I know. But does that
make me and others blind to the great "truths" that have been spoken by
these two just because myself and others have found their claims to be
unsupported ?

David:
Interesting that you bring this up about "book learning". In my college
philosophy major days, we studied John Dewey, a major proponent of moral
revelancy and pragmaticism. Though I could certainly respect some of his
pragmatic stances on experiences/results for finding knowledge, the
ethical revelance thing always bothered me, there was no accountability
to any knowledge found through means of discipline - whatever I think
feels the best is the truth, irregardless of evidence to the contrary
that others can exhibit. Unfortunately, I missed out on Bertrand
Russell's philosophical work on scientific research, where emphasis
was placed on methods and results that were repeatable and measurable,
along with a good dose of cynicism and critical thought for claims
obtained through proclamation. Yes, Russell encouraged one to go beyond
one's own limited pratical experiences (and thus, claiming that the rest
of the world is like it is because that is the way I experienced it). I
can now see why my university turned out so many existentialists who
were discouraged with the limitations of pragmaticism and knowledge that
Gouinlock and others pushed.

David:
The point I am rambling about above, is that while it is certainly
OK to share our experiences with others, and such expressions are
welcome on this list, one cannot take such experiences and make a
religion out of it here, without expecting some critical remarks
from others. Russells approach is not perfect, Carol and Peter
have already discussed that scientific methodology does not
guarantee any greater truths; however, in this forum, take it
as an assumption that the level of discussion relies on some
discipline in order to further our knowledge - there are plenty
of other lists to take the pulpit.

Gerry:

>> I regret I am tired of the needless bickering and avoidance of what
>> I thought was the reason people subscribed to this list. As soon as I figure
>> out how (My computer skills are limited) how to desubscribe myself, I shall
>> do that. My time is too valuable to waste it with people who just seem to enjoy
>> tearing others apart.

David:
Sorry to see you go. Here is the instructions:

LISTSERV(R) version 1.8c - most commonly used commands

Info <topic|listname> Order documentation
Lists <Detail|Short|Global> Get a description of all lists
SUBscribe listname <full name> Subscribe to a list
SIGNOFF listname Sign off from a list
SIGNOFF * (NETWIDE - from all lists on all servers
REView listname <options> Review a list
Query listname Query your subscription options
SET listname options Update your subscription options
INDex <filelist_name> Order a list of LISTSERV files
GET filename filetype Order a file from LISTSERV
REGister full_name|OFF Tell LISTSERV about your name

So, to unsubscribe from the list, send mail to:

with a message body (not subject):

signoff raw-food

You can also sign off from the following url:

http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/raw-food.html

Regards,

David