RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 11:13:41 -0700
Below is a new appendix, for the Brian Clement Lecture Notes where I
mention breatharianism and pranayama in the end comments. The appendix
below updates my position on these topics, as my views have changed
somewhat - evolved as more information comes available (the particular
Brian Clement Lecture notes were written some time ago - in 1995).
The Brian Clement Lecture notes have been posted multiple times (in
the past), both on the raw-food and veg-raw e-mail lists.

P.S. the Brian Clement Lecture notes are also in the article section of
http://www.living-foods.com (web site copy does not include the update below
-
at least not yet; the correction below was recently submitted to the
webmaster of living-foods.com), and in the archives of the raw-food list.

Regards,
Tom Billings

Addendum May 1998

I wanted to revise my comments above re: breatharianism, to reflect
my current position. Basically, the issue of breatharianism is primarily
a spiritual topic, and not a scientific topic.

In scientific terms:

* there are no confirmed cases of breatharians

* to achieve breatharianism may require that one violate the laws of
physics,
and (somehow) survive the experience

* an earlier advocate of breatharianism was discovered to be a fake -
eating hamburgers

* a current advocate of breatharianism advises her followers that they
can eat for social purposes or fun, and still consider themselves
breatharians (such a claim is highly suspicious, in my view).

In spiritual terms:

* enlightenment cannot be scientifically proven; if one takes enlightenment
as a spiritual view, then breatharianism can be taken as a spiritual
view as well.

* if breatharianism is somehow a grand spiritual goal, one wonders why
we were created with/evolved with, a digestive system

* the most credible claims of breatharians are in "Autobiography of a
Yogi" by Paramhamsa Yogananda, and the "Aghora" books by Robert Svoboda.
These reports are intriguing, but one wonders if these breatharians ate no
food whatsoever, or specifically, no solid food. As milk consumption is
common in India, one wonders if those reported as breatharians are consuming
milk (which has significant food value). I am not challenging or
questioning the reports, only asking about a potentially important detail.

* all/nearly all enlightened souls/saints eat food, just like the rest of
us; one wonders if breatharianism has any real spiritual significance at all.

* in the "Aghora" books, the discussion of breatharianism indicates it is
not for ordinary folks.

To clarify my earlier comments re: doing large amounts of pranayama may
reduce the need for food. There is no scientific proof of this, so one
must try and see. One limitation here is that such an effect, if it
appears at all, may require more than 1.5 hours practice per day: some
yogis regard a "serious" pranayama practice as 4-6-8 hours practice per day,
and that is each and every day!

Large amounts of pranayama may reduce food needs via a number of
mechanisms:

+ direct ingestion of prana as claimed in yoga principles (skeptics won't
believe this)

+ reduction of calorie needs as sitting and breathing uses fewer
calories than other activities

+ increased breathing raises general oxygen levels in the system, making
digestion and assimilation (and other body processes) more efficient.

It is appropriate here to warn readers that excessive pranayama can
cause serious negative side-effects. (I personally have gone that
route in the past.) If you are interested in developing a practice,
I encourage you to do so - very slowly, gradually, and carefully,
under the guidance of an experienced teacher. Do not jump in and
try to go from no pranayama, to a lengthy daily practice - if you
do, you will probably hurt yourself!

In summary: that breatharianism may be possible, in theory, is a spiritual
belief. However, there are no scientifically confirmed cases at present. I
would encourage readers to be skeptical about breatharianism. Even if it
is possible, why would you need (or want) it?

P.S. you can get pranayama instruction, generally for nominal fees, at
many yoga centers. There is no need to pay high prices for breathing
lessons.

Tom Billings