RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 1997 15:53:36 -0500 (CDT)
>You have serious difficulties to overcome, Mr. -.

You can call me Peter.:-) The -. looks like a primitive version of ;-)
to me. Is it?

>I hope it will be worth the trip.

If not, I will demand a full refund. ;-)

> The question would be of course whether a compromise (making
>salads...) would be closer to perfection than instincto with denatured
>food or not. The answer of course depends on the past dietary habits,
>the level of self-discipline of the person, etc.

I agree.

>I don't see any problem in practicing a not-perfect
>instincto-nutrition with 75% "ordinary" organic food, 15% non-organic
>tropical fruits and 10% Orkos for the few items that cannot be found
>easily otherwise (unheated dates and nuts, cassia), as long as we are
>conscious that our diet will never be perfect, and we don't care about
>that.

Again, I agree. Though I still believe in the importance of eating as
many wild, original foods as impossible.

Peter:
>> Another problem is that instincto is basically a human version of
>>the chimp diet and no matter how close we are genetically to these
>>our closest primate relatives, I do not think trying to emulate their
>>diet is a very instinctive act but rather an attempt to pursue an
>> intellectual idea that no matter how truthful is a construct of our
>> imaginative neo-cortex. If instincto was practiced truly
>>instinctively, I believe that we among instinctos would see a greater
>>variety in the types & proportions of foods chosen to mirror the
>>great diversity of circumstances ( seasons, climate zones etc) that
>>man has been able to adapt to and to match the unique history,
>>background & genetic make-up of the individual trying to practice it
>>and see less of the one-size-fits-all ideology that seems so
>>prevalent.

Jean-Louis:
>I disagree. Some surprising variations exist (for instance, even a
>tiny scrap of onion burns my tongue like hell, whereas some persons
>love it).

Yes, but not nearly enough in my opinion.

Peter:
>> As examples of this I see it as a
>> justification for neurotic cravings more than an expression of
>> instinctual needs when instinctos in Northern temperate climates
>> periodically claim to be needing massive amounts of durians from the
>> tropics or dates from hot, subtropical desert climates in order to
>> thrive.

Jean-Louis:
>I basically agree, but it would be exaggerated to say that all
>instinctos eat huge amounts of exotic foods.

I was not clear. It was more the proportions of foods eaten I was
trying to address and letting your instincts decide more than the idea
of what they are supposed to be (=chimp diet) Is the fact that
instinctos tend to a have low consumption of vegetables and RAF driven
by instinct? - I doubt it.

>I don't see any problem in eating tropical fruits when you live in
>Norway. Isn't the temperature of your house "tropical" (64 F or more)?
>Don't our ancestors originate from Africa?

But they have adapted at least somewhat to the colder climates. The
pale skin color is an obvious example of this. But no matter how warm
your house is, it does not help you when you go outside as fruits do
tend to lower your body temperature.

>Concerning the variety of our diet, I agree that we shouldn't eat
>durians or avocados out of season, but I think that animals in the
>wild have more staples in their diet than us. Chimps eat fruits we
>have never heard of, and even eat flowers, soil (and of course bone
>marrow, brains...)

No real argument except that I fail to see why people living in France
should have any nutritional need for having durians as a staple in
their diet - not considering the amount of energy wasted in the
transportation. As a treat now and then I understand.

>Best wishes, and thanks for your "moderate" moderation, Mr. -.

Thanks, I will take any complement I can get even though I am not sure
exactly what you are referring to. :-) I will take it as a vote for a
lighter moderation style. I will be addressing the issue in a message
to the list in a few days.

Best, Peter