RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gerry Coffey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 10:47:08 EST
In a message dated 11/21/98 4:51:45 AM Central Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<<
 > BTW, do you know that egg whites are one of the favorite foods of
 > bodybuilders? (Because that's lean protein.)

 Yes, body builders use raw (whole) eggs. Raw whole eggs have the highest
 biological value (protein) out of all the foods (outside of mother's
 milk). So this makes sense. A whole egg contains only 4.5 grams of fat.
 Mostly polyunsaturated omega 6. And raw fats are beneficial. I eat lots
 of raw fats and have a lean body. Hardly any body fat at all.

For the record, following is a comparison of the protein percentage in milk of
different species by John Robbins' Pulitzer Prize nominated book "Diet For A
New America," and founder of EarthSave:

Human 5%
Matre  11%
Cow    15%
Goat    17%
Dog     30%
Cat      40%
Rat       49%

"Human mother's milk provides five percent of its calories from protein.
Nature seems to be telling us that little babies, whose bodies are growing the
fastest they will eer grow in their life, and whose protein needs are
therefore at a maximum, are best served by the very modest level of 5%protein.

"WHAT IF WE NEED A WHOLE LOT?
But what if we happen to be one of those people whose biochemical
individualities are such that we need a whole lot of protein? What if we are
at the high end of the spectrum? Don't we neet to eat meat in order to get
enough? And if not meat, don't we need eggs or dairy products?...

"Even in fact, were we at the very top end of the spectrum....needing to
derive a full TEN PERCENT of our calories from protein, unless we are trying
to live only on fruits and sweet potatoes, vegetarian foodstuffs easily
provide for our protein needs....by doing nothing more than including...fresh
vegetables...wheat (17% protein) or oatmeal (15%) or pumpkin (15%)...or
nothing but cabbage (22%) we'd have over double the maximu we might need.
"In fact, if we ate nothing but the lowly potato (11%) we would still be
getting enough protein. This fact does not mean potatoes are a particularly
high protein source. They are not. Almost all plant foods provide more. What
it does show, however, is just how low our protein needs really are."

Note: "The day we stop learning we stop living."

Gerry