RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert W. Avery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 01:43:49 EDT
Dear Sandy,
	I don't know what Juno is doing to my messages, but they are not
coming back to me formatted the same way they were when I sent them out.
Oh, well, what can I expect from a free e-mail service!  (Free? Yeah,
that's right.  They don't have complete internet access, but if you want
free e-mail just call them at 800-654-JUNO.)
	I'm sure I differ with you and the Medical Establishment and even
many alternative practitioners on food "allergies," but I have come to
believe, like Arnold Ehret, based on my own personal experiences with
allergies, that they are usually beneficial, helping you to detox all
that phlegm that doesn't belong in your system.  So I say, if you find
you are allergic to a food, keep eating it until the symptoms go away;
or, if the symptoms are too unpleasant, then fast for some period of time
and try the same food again later.  Those evil allergens are sheep in
wolf's clothing.
	I don't have enough personal experience to say what the maximum
safe amount of fruit is, but I do have a pretty good idea that Dr. Bass'
recommended limit of  1.25 lbs fruit (1.5 lbs if melon) as a daily limit
is safe.  Whether that number is overly conservative or not I can't say,
since it takes so long for major problems to occur when unsafe amounts
are eaten.  (Although soft stools may be a good indicator.  These don't
take long to appear when I overinduge.  Then it gets hard to put the
genie back in the bottle without another fast.  My stools are currently
on the softish side, but formed at least..)

Dear Meredith,
	Your e-mail just saved me some work.  I was going to look up that
article for Ward too.  It sounds vaguely familiar, like maybe I've
already seen it before.  Anyway, it doesn't matter.  I'm sure I'll see it
in the next issue of M2M!
	Processing sugar uses up the body's mineral supply (amongst other
things).  Brewer's yeast has lots of minerals, which is what I think your
body may be after.  Since all nutritional yeast is cooked (pasteurized),
let me suggest you pig out on seaweed instead.  If you've never had dulse
and nori, try them; you might find them just as delicious as the yeast
without all the heat-damaged proteins.
	Does anyone listening in here know if raw food yeast is
obtainable?  It might be illegal to sell it on the U.S. for fear of
giving people yeast infections.

Dear Ward,
	I haven't heard from Peter Dietrich for a long time.  As you
know, this poor fella lost ALL HIS TEETH at one point by eating a heavily
fruitarian diet.  When he cut back to 1 fruit meal and 1 non-fruit
meal/day, he still got into trouble with hypoglycemia after 10 years of
this.  i don't know the quantities of fruit involved or percentage of
calories.  I wish he would start writing in the M2M instead of staying
Read-Only.  He'd have some fascinating stories to tell.  I do know that
he is a strong believer in the Glycemic Index.  He won't eat any food,
whether fruit or vegetable, that scores higher than 50 on the GI scale.
This excludes carrots as well as all melons.  He eats peaches, plums, and
grapefruit, which are low GI fruits.

Dear Kirt,
	You've got some interesting points, there.  By the way, welcome
to the M2M.  As a near-vegan for several years now (I eat meat maybe
once/year [raw, of course] and egg yolks maybe once/month), I wouldn't
know how to assess the fruit/meat diet.  It might be a good one.  I do
like those leafy greens, though, and am "hooked" on Pines Green Energy
(dehydrated barley grass),  My favorite veggies are also the ones you
mentioned in about the same amounts.  I also like garnet yams, jerusalem
artichokes, parsley, but most of the rest of them I could take or leave.
On the other hand, I think with veggies it often makes a big difference
in taste how organically grown they are, and the soil quality in general,
more than it matters for fruit taste.  Last year, I ate some organic
cauliflower that was out of this world.  I have 2 sources in town for
organic celery; one store has cheaper celery, but it rarely matches the
more expensive celery for taste, even though both are organic.
	Taste-change does seem to be more well-defined for veggies.
Friday I ate nearly a whole head of biodynamic nappa.  It was so
delicious I couldn't get enough of the stuff.  Then yesterday I tried it
again and wondered what all the fuss was about!  It was a different head,
but I think the difference was more in my body than in the nappa this
time.
	Have you noticed as I have that broccoli stalks, the part that
"everyone" throws away,  are tastier than the florets?  I also like the
leafy fronds that surround cauliflowers that most stores trim off and
throw away.
	Why don't you try the fruit/meat diet for a few months and report
on it in the M2M for us?  Good experiment.