RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
[log in to unmask] (Rene Beresford)
Date:
Mon, 04 Nov 1996 00:00:05 +1000
Thanks Roberto,
Your concerns are:
You're very thin, You're very cold and you crave avos.

T.C.Fry wrote in one of the "Health Guidance" Magazines:  "One of the first
things that happens when you improve your body (physical) circumstances,
even if you're taking in a surplus of calories, is that your body goes into
a catabolic stage.  Until the body finally detoxifies and starts rebuilding
from that framework,  your weight will stay down."

For some people, Roberto, it may take a few weeks, for some even up to two
years, but with your loss of weight you did not lose a single muscle cell
that that was not speedily replaced.   The body got rid of toxic waste,
water plus fat that bulked up your weight.  As it appears that your
change-over to the mainly fruit-diet was rather at high speed, so was also
your weight loss rather drastic.  You may well have torn your 'house' down
to the bare frame-work, but, do not worry, there is light at the end of the
tunnel.

The recommendations to gain weight, by T.C.Fry, Dr.V.Vetrano and others:

1. Eat more high calorie fruits, (like bananas, grapes), also dates and
dried fruits, as well as nuts and avos.  The nuts are better 'soaked' first
in the mouth  by thorough chewing (better than soaking in water).  Do not
shy away, at this stage, from fresh lettuce and from some sprouts if need
be, made up into a salad with an avocado dressing.
Personally, I would discourage any overeating on these foods, because that
will not help at all, and I am a STRONG advocate of eating the greatest
variety of fruit as you can, not necessarily at one meal (mono is best) but
over a shorter period of time.  I am so deeply convinced that this method of
eating is giving me so much benefits on a very high fruitarian diet. But:
DON'T OVEREAT!!!

2.  Exercises: stretching, weightlifting, rowing, a run, really, any good
exercise will do you good, but weight-lifting is the best for gaining
weight.   Once again, do not overdo exercises, don't wear out the body's
energies, there is no need for.  Balance it nicely within your capacities, OK?

3. Have adequate sleep and rest

4. get plenty of good Sun.  When your body is reasonably detoxified and you
get into the sun on a regular basis, starting GRADUALLY, you can then WALK
in the midday sun without any chemical stuff on your skin and get a nice
tan, and NO risk of skin cancer!!  I'm doing it here and it feels great (I
don't lie in the sun, but walk in the sun -on the beaches here-, there is a
great difference!!)

5. Practice emotional balance.

That's more a less it in a nutshell, Roberto.  It is ultimately your body
which decides the ideal weight for you.  But it has been proven that with
the above regimen, people have gained weight again.  So, give it a try on a
regular basis, it may take a while, but, so what, crickee, you're only 36,
only a 1/3 on the way he!! (or a quarter?).  Your being cold will decrease
when the weight increases.

"What temperature has my City during the year?"
 I live 22 km North of Cairns and we are about on the 17 th longitute, just
above the level of Fiji.  The "terrible" winter temps could come down to as
much as 24 C.in the day and at night 16C. (it shouldn't be allowed he!!)  In
the summer it comes up to that lovely 33-34 C. and 30C. or so at night,
(hurray, no blankets), the Ocean water is now about 29C.   Well, sorry to
make so many jealous, but aren't fruitarians, or aspiring fruitarians
supposed to live in the tropics??  That's why I'm here! Look at a good map
of Aussie and you will find Cairns on it.

"What do I eat, since when?"
 Still asking me?? You know the answer, however, I actually became
interested in "better" food back in the 1974/5's, you know, that
'whole-meal' stuff and 'free range' stuff, 'free range meat' etc.  But it
was a start, a build up to better to come.  Mid '85 I became a predominant
raw fooder, August '87 a predominant fruitarian, I lived then in Sydney,
moved up to North of Brisbane in the sub-tropical climate of the Sunshine
Coast, from 5/88 to 12/90, then came here up North and never regretted it.
We are 1800 km North of Brisbane and Brisbane is about 1000 k North of Sydney.

"What benefits did my diet bring me?" "What bad food did I crave?"
Sorry to admitt that I was not really a sick person, I was in a very
reasonable state of health when I started all this and have therefore not
gone through the many traumas of detoxification.  It makes it sometimes a
bit difficult for me, because I have to learn to understand that so many
people DO go through such processes, but I learned that through the Network
communication with hundreds of others, from the 'learned' books and lessons.

 But I confess this, in all truth and sincerity, to you and others: This
kind of diet, even if you are aspiring, will surely bring greater
perception, a deeper awareness, rather, one evolves more and more along a
spiritual path..  This I can vouch for due to the over 8 years experience in
this Network.  Many, many people relate back to me their evolvement on such
a direction and feel so much more inner peace and happiness.
I won't go into detai now with this, it is like a philosophy and needs an
open mind and lots of understanding to grasp what is actually 'beyond' it.

Of course, Roberto, I have had and still may have a craving.  I have 55
years of Western diet behind me and I was born in the "Dairy Country" of the
Netherlands (Holland).  I have given in at times to cheese, or some bread
with butter, but over the years it became less and less desireable. I also
had at times a small potato salad, but that has diminished to virtually nil.
I do not favour the term 100% fruitarian, it is bad psychology.  It is only
after all these years that I now find the smell of cooked food disagreeing
with me. OK, we all apply some discipline, but I would suggest that, when
one has a real craving, do not beat yourself for it, have it AND,,AND, do
NOT feel guilty about it!! This is very important for your own peace of
mind.  You must be free, absolutely free, to do what you feel is best for
you at a certain moment of time as far as diet and eating is concerned.
Well, dear friend, and friends, I hope that this 'epistel' has helped a bit
for all of us,it certainly has for myself, as I learn and grow while I write
or talk about it.    All the best in good health.    Peace and love     Rene.