RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 1997 02:11:04 -0500

Kirt:
> Keep in mind that I wasn't any kind of "weakling" before, but I felt even
>stronger on the very low carb diet. Further, my body felt pleasantly
"tighter"  in general, more muscle definition, clothes felt better (though
I didn't lose any weight really--maybe a couple pounds).

Very inspiring. Especially considering the excellent shape you already were
in. I understand that this is your first attempt at a low carb diet. It will be
interesting when you try it raw and see what difference (if any) you feel
between low carb cooked and low carb raw. When you sear your meat what cuts
do you use, how exactly do you sear it and for how long?

> Both are pleasant, but I'm thinking I may do best having
>separate days of fruit (high carb) vs animal foods/veggies (low carb) as
>opposed to fruit at lunch and animal foods/veggies at dinner. I might have
>a day or three or more of meat/veggies and then a day or more of fruit
>instead of eating all classes of food in a single day. This makes sense to
>me intellectually as well since I can easily imagine our ancestors eating
>lots of fruit when a ripe tree was encountered and eating lots of meat when
>they downed a woolly mammoth ;) Who knows how it will go for me in the long
>term? Not I ;)

This makes a lot of sense. I wonder if your instincts are guiding you in
this direction or if it is your mind guiding your instincts towards what
might be a long forgotten and more original pattern of eating.  If eating
some lightly cooked foods does sharpen your instincts then maybe limiting
the amount of food categories consumed daily as you suggest might be a
consequence of this.

>It is fairly easy for me to imagine an evolutionary "bottle-neck" where
our >species had to resort to cooked food during times of ice-age induced
scarcity >(especially those of us of European heritage).

It is clear to me how cooking grains, legumes and various tubers is an
advantage in times of scarcity by increasing the amount of eatable foods.
But, when it comes to meat it is not clear to me that there is an
significant advantage eating it cooked over eating it raw.

>Sorry this is so long

On the contrary, it was not long enough. :-) I look forward to more treats
from yours and Melisa's pioneering culinary experiments.

Best, Peter