RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gary Orlando <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 08:17:24 -0500
>Carnivores, on the whole, _do_ have larger brains that non-carnivores.

relative to body size or in absolute terms?  I'll check that out.
is that really a good measure?  carnivores are generally lean - doesn't
this skew the comparison?

any known comparisons between vegetarian humans from birth and carnivorous
humans?

then again, is bigger (relatively speaking) necessarily better?
there must be neurological connections and
efficiencies that are independent of brain size.

>Was this dealt
with in the book or in Coleman's cribbing of it? If I remeber correctly it
is a pretty clear correlation.

I don't know.

>It correlated because they happened simultaneously. Correlation is easy to
show and quite clearcut in this case.

you're saying human diet in human populations from millions of years ago,
as compared to brain size is clearly known?  hard to believe.
anthropology goes on scant evidence.

> Cause is not, I agree. But there are
certainly supporting arguments as are found on beyondveg. If the two
changes
were entirely  coincidental, as I assume is being argued, then shouldn't
there be some support that they were? I don't see any support in the
article. What am I missing?

I don't see how there's any way that one can be so certain that meat eating
caused increased brain size, although it could be true.
I simply don't know enough and nutritional factors
to say that extra fats or proteins, or whatever, enables increased brain
size.

why not simply the social dynamics of meat sharing,
and not the nutrients, as I have read recently?

>I like the "Aquatic Ape Theory" as a personal favorite, but I don't admit
it
to just anyone. ;)

I read some refutation of that recently that made more sense than
the theory itself...

>And I feel I owe one to you, one of the more level-headed vegan folks IMO.

thanks.  must be that miniscule amount of animal foods I guiltily sneak
behind everyone's back keeping me sane.  ;-)

> Largely because you make no bones about
"just believing" that animal foods aren't needed, and don't need to make up
the rest of the stuff so many vegans are apt to.

true.

Secola/Nieft <[log in to unmask]>@MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU> on 11/27/2001
09:50:38 PM

Please respond to Raw Food Diet Support List

Sent by:  Raw Food Diet Support List <[log in to unmask]>

To:   [log in to unmask]
cc:
Subject:  Re: Evolution: thoughts about Beyond Veg and raw meat