RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Roy P D'Souza" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 96 11:00:00 PDT
I'm still curious to find out why it is that the coconut in my diet
should impact my serum cholesterol levels. (From my limited knowledge,
one's body generates the requisite 200-300 MG a day that is essential
for survival. Also that additional dietary cholestorol would elevate
these serum levels as a part of the food metabolism.
Exactly what is it about vegetarian raw fatty acids that is causing the
body to generate more cholesterol?)

Maybe I'm just an ignorant engineer who needs to read up on elementary
anatomy/physiology/biochemistry/?
If anybody knows the answers I would be really appreciate more
information.

On a related issue, it appears to me that this serum cholesterol level
stuff might just a statistical game. (i.e. the corelation between serum
levels and actual health impact, which does not differentiate between
vegan/raw diets and regular SAD). Are there any studies/opinions that a
vegan or raw diet would mitigate the potential effects of high serum
cholesterol levels?
I understand that studies of vegan Seventh Day Adventists shows very low
incidences of heart diseases. But does it also show a uniformly low
serum cholesterol levels? (If the latter then I need to worry, right?)

On another issue, am I fixating on the wrong thing?. i.e. perhaps
statistically as a vegan I'm more likely to die of cancer than heart
problems. Therefore, in order to eat healthy while still on a mostly
cooked diet I should actually favor foods that negatively effect the
heart (more saturated) while avoiding those that don't effect the heart,
instead turn into carcinogenic polyesters when heated (more
polyunsaturated)?
Would this equation change when I went totally raw, since the latter
effect is absent?

Thanks for your patience, interest, and helpful insights.
[Ric, thank you for your other e-mail message which provides pointers to
vegan/raw-aware MDs. I'lll follow up on those leads as well.]

Regards,

Roy