RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 12:01:00 -0500
Ellie:
> Toxins are stimulants and my food addictions were an addiction to them.

Well, until I find a counterexample, I would say that stimulants (like
coffee, etc) are toxins, but that the converse is not true. I don't think
mercury, or poisonous mushrooms are stimulants.

On the question "what is toxic", I think that, apart from deadly foods,
there is no good definition of a toxin. Almost every food has its
advantages and disadvantages, and a good diet is more about *balance* of
nutrients than about avoiding toxic foods. Even alcohol has some
beneficial effects (on cholesterol). It doesn't seem right to me to
consider any food as inherently toxic: the body's needs, and thus the
balance cost/benefit, varies from one person to another, and changes over
time.

It seems that all diets have their own definition of toxicity, and some
food avoidances easily become irrational fears: fear of cooked food, of
animal foods, of fruit, of carbohydrates, whatever.

Now, let me add an appendix to my recent post "Toxic foods":

 **The Zone: High glycemic index foods, like bananas and carrots, can be
extremely detrimental to your health. On the other hand, thanks to the
high-fat content, you can eat ice-cream. Take one ice-cream cone, add a
little quantity of protein (extra-firm tofu if you are a vegetarian) and
two Macadamia nuts, and you will obtain a perfect healthy meal in the
Zone. You will soon enjoy, not only perfect health, but also Olympic
fitness.

 **SAD: Warning. Despite all our precautions and rigorous USDA inspection,
we cannot guarantee our product to be absolutely baacteria-free. Wash your
hands with plenty of soap and water before opening this package, and cook
thoroughly. Then, wash your hands again before serving. Don't let children
play with raw food: they might even ingest it accidentally. If that ever
occurs, don't induce vomiting, since contamination has probably occurred
already, and immediately consult a physician. And wash your hands with
plenty of soap and water.

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis