RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stefan Joest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 11:57:39 +0000
Hi Peter and Jean-Louis,

>From Coleman's sales material:
>All animals in the Coleman program are free-range and grass-fed for the
>first 12-18 months of life and are never given growth hormones or
>antibiotics.  In addition the rangelands are randomly and periodically
>tested for residues of over 30 different pesticides and herbicides.

>Once the cattle arrive at Coleman Certified Feed yards, they consume a
>carefully controlled blend of corn, hay and a protein supplement that
>is regularly tested for antibiotics and residues of pesticides and
>herbicides. The result is delicious, wholesome, chemical-free product
>that is "Coleman Clean" - the highest standard there is for natural
>meat.

Jean-Louis picked the critical point already.
The first part of the animal's lifetime sounds nice: free-range and
grass-fed. The second part I would describe this way:

"Once the cattle arrive at Coleman Certified Feed yards, they are fed a
mixture of cooked corn, heated hay and an artificial (cooked) protein
supplement that..."

The problem with heat denaturation is out of the view of these people
since they all consume cooked foods.
Also a diet containing only three components is poor IMNSHO. In nature
cattle would find: grass, herbs, small animals (bugs, snails), fruits,
vegetables, sprouts, seeds and maybe even other dead animals (if a cow
would consume them I don't know. Perhaps very occasionally?).
Strange nature, that doesn't provide "protein supplements". How do
the heavier animals (cows, bears) grow up without them? ;-)

Anyway: good luck with Coleman's meat. Perhaps it's the best possible
choice in the U.S. but that doesn't mean it is a    g o o d    choice.

Sceptical regards,

Stefan
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]