RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sandy Labedz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 1996 21:57:06 -0500
Hi Doug!

You stated that "all proteins are acidic".  That's not consistent with the
information in the two books and various other info (such as the chapter on
acid-alkaline in Conscious Eating) I've read.  As I understand it, most
protein is acidic but almonds, Brazil nuts and soybeans are not.  Maybe some
other folks have further information.  Liked your thoughts on heart disease,
it certainly has to be multifactorial.

In the midst of the RAF debate, I'd like to recommend an excellent book - The
Scientifc Basis of Vegetarianism by William Harris, M.D.

I was thinking that maybe it was concentrated calories (nuts, meat, etc.)
that made it possible for humans to leave an earlier life in which we mostly
ate and slept/rested all day, gave us the sustained energy to build pyramids
and nuclear weapons, invent and produce books and computers and generally
pave the planet.

>"Study links bone density, breast cancer," page D3, Nov. 6,
> reported that postmenopausal women "who had the higest
 >bone-mineral density were at 2.0 to 2.5
>times the risk of breast cancer compared with women with the
> lowest bone-mineral."

I wonder if the women mentioned above had higher bone densities because they
were on hormone replacement therapy which raises the rest of breast and
uterine cancer considerably.

Found your info on exercise thought provoking.  I am an avid, long time
exerciser - former jogger and high impact aerobics teacher, now do lots of
stairclimbing, fast walking, weight lifting and yoga.  Maybe I should do more
yoga and less stairclimbing.  I do know that I feel good when I do the
stairclimber and weights but feel GREAT when I do yoga.  It does seem that
some of the yogis and yoginis live long lives, certainly some outlive Shelton
and Fry.  Hmmm.

Smiles,

Sandy